• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

N00b questions: which 3" coil?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Well I thought I knew it all until it was time to pony up my own dollars.

I'm looking for a true 3" from a set of coils, hopefully stiff enough to match the XJ-on-XJ bastard pack I'm building for the rear.

Research tells me Rusty's HD packs are 180 lbs / in, BDS is 240 (hard to believe) but no info for Iron Rock Offroad or Rough Country springs. I think Moog makes a coil good for 2.25" - part # CC784 - but I can't find the spring rate for them.

There is also the mid 80s Thunderbird option.

Am I over thinking this or should I just buy whichever 3" spring is cheapest?

i vote for overthinking it

Install the rears first and see what you end up with.Also will depend on whats installed on your rig(bumpers,winch,etc).Dont leave RE out of the picture!

When I did my lift I searched and found the spring rates for the CC784 were 158. I can't remember where I found that so I don't know how reliable it is. I was going to use those springs with spacers to match my bastard pack rear springs, but a friend sold me his used OME 934 springs. The OMEs gave me about 3.25 inches. I added the two longest leafs on each side from a cherokee. I got 3 inches of lift in the back.

Well I thought I knew it all until it was time to pony up my own dollars.

I'm looking for a true 3" from a set of coils, hopefully stiff enough to match the XJ-on-XJ bastard pack I'm building for the rear.

Research tells me Rusty's HD packs are 180 lbs / in, BDS is 240 (hard to believe) but no info for Iron Rock Offroad or Rough Country springs. I think Moog makes a coil good for 2.25" - part # CC784 - but I can't find the spring rate for them.

There is also the mid 80s Thunderbird option.

Am I over thinking this or should I just buy whichever 3" spring is cheapest?

I had re coils and switched to BDS. The BDS are a LOT thicker coils compared to the RE. I like them cause I got a heavy winch bumper and winch, works out better

the carquest progressive springs for a v8 zj netted 3'' on my rig. I can't remember the PN but do a search for carquest on this site and I'm sure you'll find it.

Back