• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front drive shaft rubbing on cross member.

Tweeternpi

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I am going nuts. My front drive shaft is rubbing on the cross member. I have a home made long arm set up on it. I thought it was the trans mount so I replace it tonight. Got in took it for a ride no problems. when out to the in-laws had to go to the back to get a trailer out of the mudd. Put in 4 Lo pull it out no problems. Drove home any good bump I hit you could hear the front drive shaft rubbing on the cross member again.

Got under it when I got home. everything looks good. But the front shaft is about 10mm off of the cross member. I have 5.5in rubicon front springs with 1.75 in spacers on the front. Home made pack in the back. Lock right in the front and rear axles. The driver side motor mount was replace 4 months ago.

any thoughts would be great. Everytime I back up it rubs also.

Thanks

You built it, so fix it!Sounds like a design issue!

the obvious answer, is clearance it. theres now scratches showing you where to notch.
who only replaces 1 motor mount? you should only do motor mounts once, when you get rid of the oem style.

Check both engine mounts. 4 months ago means nothing nowadays. I got home from Napa a few months ago with new motor mounts, opened the box, and saw they were made in INDIA. Took 'em back and ordered up the Energy Suspension insert type. Grubby job to do, but wrth it. Any good trail rig should have upgraded engine mounts..............

Do you have a D30 LP? If so, drop the front with a .75" spring pad and heat n hammer a notch in the cross member for drive shaft clearance.
I have a D30 LP w/ 6.5" springs, a .75" spring pad, cross member notched for drive shaft clearance and have no clearance issues.
I tried a set of 1.75" spring pads and found that the drive shaft would hit the cross member even with a notch.
If you have a D30 HP, then? As mentioned above-motor mounts?
When in reverse-the power train torques to the rear, closing the gap between the drive shaft and the cross member.
This is MPE and hope it helps.

Check both engine mounts. 4 months ago means nothing nowadays. I got home from Napa a few months ago with new motor mounts, opened the box, and saw they were made in INDIA. Took 'em back and ordered up the Energy Suspension insert type. Grubby job to do, but wrth it. Any good trail rig should have upgraded engine mounts..............
Agreed, picked the cheapest ones off rockauto and they were made in india and korea. The rubber was already separating from the metal and I could see the variations in the threads. I ended up using them on my 2.5L 4cyl air compressor / generator project (had to grind the center sleeves down a bit to fit), so it wasn't a complete waste of money.

Thanks for all the info. The reaon I just change on motor mount is someone had replace the other one before. I think I am going to spend the money and get Energy Suspension ones and try them. Going to have to notch out the cross member as well.

Back