• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 Cherokee crank no start

imprezkid

NAXJA Forum User
Ran yesterday, just cranks today. It did require a few seconds of cranking before but would always fire up, now it won't just cranks.

Check all fuses and relays, the fuel pump doesn't appear to be turning on,

check the power at the relay, seems identical to my running 92 so i would say thats good(getting power 12v at 3 post and ground at one).

Checked for neutral sensor, reverse lights work and doesn't start in neutral.

Just got underneith and check the power to the pump at the plug the fuel pump harness connects too. I had ~7v on the middle terminal, but ground on both the outsides, this doesn't seem right?

still checking things, let me know if you have any ideas

Seems you got a couple threads going.

Ok, measure your voltage across the battery terminals--s/b about 12.5 volts. If not, charge the battery and have it load tested.

Post up your results.

Yeah i did that, i have 12v now, still no luck though. I tried testing the cps, i had 1 on the ohm meter when i went across terminal b and c. But when i went from a to b, i had resistence, this was not the same as my 92, so im not sure if thats a problem?

Last edited:
You're not getting the usual gaggle of replies -- there have been so many similar problems lately that perhaps everyone is tired.

I assume that you are absolutely sure that the pump is not priming.

You mention questionable resistance figures when checking the CPS. Have you verified these? I have no practical experience in checking the CPS but I have seen figures suggesting that the resistance reading should be between 175 and 275 ohms with no terminal numbers mentioned. Another poster says he had 218 ohms between A & B on a properly functioning CPS. I believe you can find good info on this with a search of posts from TIM_MN.

In any event these results are far different from yours.

Let us know about the CPS. I have one other thought about relays if the CPS proves okay.

I will have to recheck on the resistance, and i know, i very rarely post for this reason, i've been around jeeps for quite some time, so it only happens when im really stumped in have to start testing things like mentioned. The pump is not coming on, when i push the shrader valve in i get a little gas, not enough to start it, and the pump never starts, i am also gettin no spark at the plugs. I had this happen on the same year grand cherokee and it turned out to be the cps, so im thinking about just bitting the bullet and buying one to see it if fixes it. I have little investment in the vehicle, for the right price it shouldn't hurt me much.

On a side note, the jeep does have a remote start on it, even though the brand is an alarm brand i remember looking it up and it not being an alarm, just the start, but i should probably double check that. Every vehicle we have with an alarm has issues

Back