• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to add a transmission cooler for AW-4

4x4xj89

NAXJA Forum User
Guys, please help me out, I want to add a transmission cooler. 89 XJ 4.0L with AW-4.

Where would be the ideal place to install the new cooler and how should I run it? before the radiator or past the radiator, should I also use the cooler on the radiator or totally bypass it.

If you have a setup with pictures, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

I'm pretty sure the "before or after the radiator" question belongs in the Political Discussion Zone... :shocked:

In front of the radiator and/or AC condenser is a good spot.

I'm pretty sure the "before or after the radiator" question belongs in the Political Discussion Zone... :shocked:

In front of the radiator and/or AC condenser is a good spot.

Behind the front Grill? thats a tight squeeze but I guess it would be the proper place.

So should I post the other question in the political discussion forum :eyes:

I have mine right behind the grill halfway between the mechanical fan and the e-fan. I completely bypassed the radiator link (which I don't recommend for those in the frigid zones). The purpose of the radiator loop is to actually warm the tranny fluid in colder weather, my tranny runs about 125-150 and it seemed ridiculous to ADD any heat to it (coming from a 210F radiator).

Now if you live where it's really cold in the winter (30F is c-c-cold here) the radiator loop is probably necessary. If you do include the radiator, put the cooler AFTER the radiator with a line back to the tranny.

I have mine right behind the grill halfway between the mechanical fan and the e-fan. I completely bypassed the radiator link (which I don't recommend for those in the frigid zones). The purpose of the radiator loop is to actually warm the tranny fluid in colder weather, my tranny runs about 125-150 and it seemed ridiculous to ADD any heat to it (coming from a 210F radiator).

Now if you live where it's really cold in the winter (30F is c-c-cold here) the radiator loop is probably necessary. If you do include the radiator, put the cooler AFTER the radiator with a line back to the tranny.

Paradise, thanks for the useful info. I think I will include the radiator. We get a month or two temperatures varying from 28-45.

Paradise, thanks for the useful info. I think I will include the radiator. We get a month or two temperatures varying from 28-45.

^^usually is the best option^^ it's as the factory designed it, and unless you've got "special" needs/uses, it's the best all around location.

I also wanted to add a cooler but wasn't sure if adding it after the radiator / ac condenser, restricted airflow and put more of a burden on the cooling system leading to higher coolant temperatures. Anyone have any experience of this?

I also wanted to add a cooler but wasn't sure if adding it after the radiator / ac condenser, restricted airflow and put more of a burden on the cooling system leading to higher coolant temperatures. Anyone have any experience of this?

I have not had any ill effects on added stress to the cooling system.

However, I do have a ZJ HD fan clutch, my (curved blade 96+) aux fan is on a switch, I have hood vents and I converted to an open system. So I made some mods to the cooling system but that was before I added the cooler. I always run @195-210 range unless I'm towing up a long grade or putting undue stress on the engine, then it may be in the 210-240 range for a short time. But the tranny is coool.

I have not had any ill effects on added stress to the cooling system.

However, I do have a ZJ HD fan clutch, my (curved blade 96+) aux fan is on a switch, I have hood vents and I converted to an open system. So I made some mods to the cooling system but that was before I added the cooler. I always run @195-210 range unless I'm towing up a long grade or putting undue stress on the engine, then it may be in the 210-240 range for a short time. But the tranny is coool.

I did buy the NAPA 272310 fan clutch. I am hoping with that, adding the transmission cooler in front of the radiator will not effect the engine cooling too much.

What dimension transmission cooler would be suitable? I see many using a B&M model, can anyone help me with size / dimension, as I have a few different sizes available to me in other brands.

Thanks

Back