• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG ATs or SS trXus? (31x10.5)

Jeepindog

NAXJA Forum User
Re: DG @Ts .p SS trps? (31x10.5)

My head is telling me to go with BFG, but my heart says Super Swam `r! I 7pess I just nee!to remddber thr it's ,p whfe'" XJ, and if I want a badass Jeep I'll just look next to it in the garage at our TJ on 35" MT/Rs. Or mah`e I neb to mod thd WJdnd put some 33s under it! I still think the XJ would look good with s`e Swamcrs. L.lks don't wdar &ery lon thoug( ..

Lachlan

I'm about to throw an RE Super Ride 3.5" suspension under my wife's XJ, and she wants either BFG ATs or SS trXus tires. The BFGs will wear longer, but not look as cool. The SSs will look good, wear pretty decent, and be better off road. So, anyone who has good words to say about either tire, please let me know. (I run GY MT/Rs on the TJ, and Pirelli Scorps on the WJ.)

Lachlan

Swampers

Go with the BFG Mud Terrains for a better look then the AT's .. plus also wear very good

So far it's a little lop-sided, favoring BFG. I've heard that the BFG ATs can get really loose in the rain, due to their harder compound. Any truth to that, or is it all just a bunch of BS?

Lachlan

Bunch of BS. I ran BFG AT's for 6+ years. THE SAME SET. I loved them, if I wasn't up here in the PNW where it muddy alot I would have gotten them again. I absolutely loved those tires for street and trail.

I have BFG muds now, I would reccommend siping them if you get a set.

I dont think you can go wrong with either the MT's or AT's. I had the AT's on my dodge ram for about 50.000 miles and wore like steel.. another good tire is the Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/t .

I had BFG AT's on my Pathfinder, and the only problems I had was in really deep mud. After a year's worth of driving both on-road and off-road, they barely showed any wear.

I've been running BFG a/t's since the early 80's. I've tried other tires but I always come back to the BFG's.

For a multipurpose rig they are hard to beat.

If you are talking hardcore trail rig, then there are better choices.

I've never had any handling problems of any kind with BFG A/T's.

They do not clean out some muds very well so some commen sense has to be used when entering muddy area's.

Add another vote for the BFG. I run the AT's. Only time I wish I had something more agressive is when I get in mud.

fxdlrider said:
Add another vote for the BFG. I run the AT's. Only time I wish I had something more agressive is when I get in mud.
Ditto. We've had nothing but wet, slushy winters the last few years, and my BFG ATs have been awesome. My Jeep came with Kumho ATs, which are much more heavily siped, and I am much more confident/comfortable with the BFGs.

I'm running Truxus STS radials (33x12.50/15). I was drawn to them by their aggressive tread pattern (for an A/T) and am impressed with how quiet they run. I just picked them up a few days ago so I haven't had a chance to offroad them yet but have wheeled with others running them. From what I've witnessed and expect to experience..they handle rocks very nicely and have mud charecteristics you'd expect from an A/T. I'd actually give the edge to the STS's over the BFG's in the mud due to their more agressive tread pattern. BTW..I have Grabber MT's for the real sloppy stuff.

Well it is your wifes.
You put on an RE Super-Ride kit, not Super-Flex.
The SS will be alot heavier than the BFG's. (Mileage, again wife's XJ.)
For her I'd go Cooper Discoverer S/T. Best of everything.
If you are going to to choose between BFG and SS, go BFG MT for a comparable tire. No siping required. Mine are fine on ice and snow. Better grip on everything then what my BFG AT (crap) had.
Ask your wife what SHE wants then if she doesn't like them, you can't be blamed!:laugh:

Back