• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Patching Plastic (pneumatic) HVAC Control Lines

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
While repairing my 1988 XJ recently I discovered the black plastic line that emerges from the dash location adjacent to the evaporator core and heater core lines has a small hole in it.

Two pneumatic lines pass through the firewall at this location; one controls the one-way valve allowing engine coolant to enter the heater core (pink(?) line with 90-degree rubber fitting that attaches to the vacuum diaphragm attached to the valve), the second one is black and travels further forward along the right hand edge of the engine bay; presumably to the vacuum vessel behind the front bumper. This is the line that has the hole in it on my 88 XJ.

I have not checked the dealer yet, because I prefer to avoid that cost. I do know I could visit a pick-n-pull salvage yard. However, it would be much easier if anyone has figured out a solution for patching these hard plastic lines. Has anyone here done this successfully?

Please advise.

Rick

I get it; the ID of the vacuum tubing must be sized to the OD of the OE plastic pneumatic line!

Thanks for the tip!

Rick

Yeah, if you do a heart bypass you end up like half the people in Washington DC (lawyers, lobbyists, etc.)

If you do a brain bypass you end up like the other half (politicians.)

Back