• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody have anything to say about Alloy Axles

Dads XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious about Alloy Axles and thier u-joints. Seems Ten Factory, G2, Alloy, Nittro, are probabley all made in the same overseas factory. Is someone running them with thier u-joints?

Using nitro shafts in a dana 30 under a CJ. 35s, 4.27 gears. Locker. Put them in at customers request. They did come with spicer u joints. You get what you pay for. But no problems yet ...

Run 'em with full circle clip Spicer 760s and it'll be more than enough for most folks. It's not the ujoint bodies that fail, it's the caps spitting out that causes problems. ;)

Oh, and don't rule out Superior's Discovery line. Made in a different place than the aforementioned shafts...to the spec of the US-made Evolution series. Rolled splines, not cut...better finish and quality than the Yukon/Alloy/Nitro stuff.

running the alloy usa, 2 yrs now. stock alloy usa joints only got me 3-4 months, had weird up and down play. Spicers work great. Got another set of alloys coming for the other rig tommarow. the nitros for some reason are more money up here in canada.

You won't get better customer service or warranty than you get from Ten Factory. The guys who run Ten used to run Alloy-USA before the company was bought out, and still honors the Alloy-USA warranty out of Ten inventory (and profits).. ... can you ask for any better service than that?

Nitro also offers excellent service, and is a Naxja sponsor. I was a little dissapointed in the Nitro master install kits, but a quick phone call and they did provide the extra parts that were needed without extra charge

G2 is the same stuff, but with 4 wheel parts red tape in the warranty process.

I've never been a fan of Superior or Yukon products myself.

Personally, I've run Warn shafts (1 set), Yukon shafts (1 set), Superior shafts (1 set), Alloy-USA shafts (5 sets), and just last week purchased my third set of Ten Factory shafts - all from upgrades.

I'm a fan of Spicer joints and CTM joints. I don't really trust any other u-joints available at this time.

x2 on Ten Factory, i run em they are awesome. plus you can order through National Drivetrain one of our Sponsors

They are really all the same <POOPIE>, made at the same place. I have the Nitro 4340 shafts with Yukon's super joints (similar to CTM's) and love the setup. Super strong much better than the stock axles and joints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or forget u-joints and go with RCV's. Not too much more than chromoly shafts and good joints, but you never have to worry about spitting out a joint on the trail. I have them in an ARB locked D30 and I was hammering it this past weekend. So nice to be able to turn lock to lock back and forth and stay on the gas without worrying about breaking something.

Oh, and RCV has great customer service as well. I had a problem with the boot fitting in the knuckle and they sent out new designed parts the next day, along with some swag.

About these RCV, The inner shaft is chromoly and the outer is ?. Doesn't say the outer is chromoly. How easy is it to get replacement parts, I'm kinda of a boy scout I like to carry spare parts. It seems it would be easier to stick with ujoints and shafts. I'm sure the fixit parts for the RCV's are not cheap.

About these RCV, The inner shaft is chromoly and the outer is ?. Doesn't say the outer is chromoly. How easy is it to get replacement parts, I'm kinda of a boy scout I like to carry spare parts. It seems it would be easier to stick with ujoints and shafts. I'm sure the fixit parts for the RCV's are not cheap.

What makes you think the outer isn't chromoly?

Well the whole point with the RCV's is that they do not break. I asked them the max tire size they warranty on a D30 and they told me 40" :laugh: The only time they MIGHT break is if you have a very high hp engine and big tires, or you somehow mod your steering to turn farther than stock.

Breaking the shaft may be possible, but I doubt you'll do it on 35's with a D30. Both inner and outer are chromoly and I think the ball is too. You break it, they replace it, no questions (unless they determine your steering turns too far, which it shouldn't if the knuckles haven't been modified). So you don't need 'fixit' parts, they will replace whatever breaks, and good luck breaking anything.

As far as replacements, if something does go wrong, just stick a stock axle back in there. If you want to carry replacements, throw your stock shafts (assembled with u joints) in the back and you should be worry free. I have my stock shafts with unit bearings attached in the back of my jeep now.

I went on a trailride back in April and didn't have time to install the RCV's, so I just brought them along. After the first day, I found that I had cracked the caps on one u-joint, so I installed the RCV to replace it and ran the next day with one RCV and one stock shaft. At the end of the 2nd day, the caps on the other stock joint were broken, so I put in the other RCV the next day.

Well the whole point with the RCV's is that they do not break.

27 spline chromoly is 27 spline chromoly. I'd put them up against alloy-usa/ten factory shafts with CTM's any day.. and I'd come out on top when I do. ;)

You won't get better customer service or warranty than you get from Ten Factory. The guys who run Ten used to run Alloy-USA before the company was bought out, and still honors the Alloy-USA warranty out of Ten inventory (and profits).. ... can you ask for any better service than that?
This. Ron is a great guy. You can't go wrong with Motive/TEN Factory.
27 spline chromoly is 27 spline chromoly.
Eh, to a point. It really also depends on where/who/what made the core blank.

Honestly in a D30 if I was to run chromo stuff I'd run TEN Factory shafts with either Spicer or CTM joints. Save the cash.

For the record, I run Motive gears and RCV shafts in my D60 and I couldn't be happier. I wouldn't change anything about my setup.

Last edited:
Eh, to a point. It really also depends on where/who/what made the core blank.

I suppose that is true. Look at how lousy Yukon stuff is, and thats chromo.. but the Ten/Alloy/Superior/Nitro shafts are all of comperable superior quality, and there isn't much room for improvement.

Honestly in a D30 if I was to run chromo stuff I'd run TEN Factory shafts with either Spicer or CTM joints. Save the cash.

i ran that setup (alloy usa, and ctm) in my 30 with 35's and beat the snot out the setup - held rock solid.

For the record, I run Motive gears and RCV shafts in my D60 and I couldn't be happier. I wouldn't change anything about my setup.

I went Ten Factory with my 60. They have done me (and everyone else) so right for so long, I can't justify considering anyone elses product .. not to mention the price was WAY better.

Back