• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust, welded or clamped?

96NYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious, i know that welded there is less chance for exhaust leaks but is one better then the other for sound or performance?

I know stock my whole exhaust was clamped

Less leaks = better performance.

But with clamps, you can easily replace damaged components. Welded is harder unless you have a sawzall or something.

Mine's welded, but I had it done at a Meineke. I'm pretty happy with it, but if I do bend it up, I have to pull the entire thing off minus the manifold to fix it.

I clamp mine, and then weld a 1" bead at the bottom so it doesnt come loose.

Mine is clamped and has several tack welds holding everything tight. I like the notion that if I do hit something hard enough the tacks will give way rather than the entire exhaust getting manged.

weld it, when you clamp it, it pinches the pipe together anyway

Weld it, exhaust parts are fairly cheap, just don't weld the muffler to the cat, clamp that one. I throw it all together, put all the bolts in loosely, get everything lined up, tack the tailpipe to the muffler, pull it back out, full weld, then put it all back in.

While you have the welder and grinder out, throw a flex joint in the downpipe somewhere.

Weld it. If you bend it up just grab a sawzall, chop out the bent section, and weld another length of pipe in it's place. It's really not as much work as you think.

Weld as much as your are willing, then clamp using these

4110FMT64DL._SS500_.jpg

u-bolt clamps are for the birds.

Back