• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Folding light bar - roof rack

Red2000

NAXJA Forum User
I've been in the concept design stage for quite a while on this and would like some opinions and maybe pictures.

I can not weld and that is not an option so please suggest other options.

I am a broke college student please do not suggest expensive products as the goal is a homemade prodcut.

I plane to build a rectangular frame out of steel angle (Brother can get for free) or similar material bolted together and attach it to the factory cross bars. The floor material has not be decided on yet, possibly 1x4's painted black or maybe some sort of mesh metal if I can get my hands on it. I want this to basically be a flat platform so that it remains very low profile and is able to carry almost anything properly tied down. Any other suggestions for low cost, non-welded frame? What about floor options?

I have 4 lights for the front and 2 for the back. The 2 for the back are low profile and will be mounted on the bottom side of the rack . The 4 for the front I would like to be able to flip down. I would also like some sort of wind fairing, this might help with noise and aerodynamics but the main reason is aesthetic, to hide the lights from the front view while in the down position. I have some ideas with a hinge and pins system but am still very open to ideas. Has anyone made something like this before?

I currently have 2 factory cross rails that this rack will be mounted to. I am thinking I should get at least 1 or 2 more to help spread out the weight. How much is too much for whatever I make plus attachments (lights, bike mounts, etc.) to weight?

Please share any homemade racks that are not welded, have a homemade wind fairing that goes from rack to roof (or close), or a folding light bar.

lol ur asking for alot buddy. its pretty hard to make a roof rack without welding it together, i actually bought mine off amazon for cheap. its not the biggest thing in the world but it works for what i need it for.
130 bucks with free supersaver shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Valley-90350-Basket-Cargo-Carrier/dp/B000E91RJA/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

as for the light bar, everything im thinking of involves welding, a folding light bar sounds sketchy and seems like it will be more pain than its worth. i have my 4 kc lights on my stock front bumper and its way more than enough lights. everyone wants me to run up front when we do night runs. also from what i understand, if you run lights up top, you run into the problem of glare off your hood. i'd look into the issues with lights mounted above your windshield.

As far as a non welded one, check out the one this guy made out of EMT. Also, another guy on that forum who goes by "warthog" made a very nice one. PM him for any info you need:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/home-brew-emt-roof-rack-21684/index5/

Without welding, you will have to get pretty creative with bolt placement to make it look clean. I plan on making the lights I put on my rack fold down too.

If you can get access to a welder, and get decent at it, and have decent fabrication skills, the possibilities are endless.

Mine's welded, but might give you a few ideas for a low profile look, here is what mine looks like as of last month. It hasn't changed yet. The crossbars are less than an inch off the roof. It is made out of 1" square with .083" wall and some 1"x1"x.083" angle I am doing something special with my rack though.

Frame so far:

0523001409.jpg

From a distance, but the surface rust makes it blend in a bit with the rest of the stuff.

DSCN1985.jpg

DSCN1987.jpg

Back