• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock D30 rotors shot- any cheap/bolt on upgrades?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
I know people are using WJ knuckles and their huge calipers/rotors, but that's out of my price range right now.

Anyone know of a bolt-on improvement? I know some of the ZJ parts are beefier than XJs- maybe something from one of those?

My rig: 1988 XJ with new '96 booster and master cylinder. Rear brakes done last July at shop (long story). Front rotors look like crap and I think I'm starting to notice a very slight pulsing when it's raining- indicating warped rotors.

I'll probably end up just getting some upper-middle-of-the-line rotors and pads (maybe calipers too) from napa or advance unless something else makes more sense....

Thanks

Take the shorter shoes off the rear and install long ones in their place. It makes a noticeable difference. Also, if you have rubber hoses to the calipers then steel braided lines will greatly improve the pedal feel.

No cheap bolt on stuff. ZJ brakes aren't any better. However, I recently installed a set of Raybestos semi-metallic Advanced Technology brake pads on the front of the ZJ with new rotors and they made a nice improvement in braking. Fairly cheap too. I've heard good things about the hawk HPS pads too, but haven't tried them yet.

No cheap bolt on stuff. ZJ brakes aren't any better. However, I recently installed a set of Raybestos semi-metallic Advanced Technology brake pads on the front of the ZJ with new rotors and they made a nice improvement in braking. Fairly cheap too. I've heard good things about the hawk HPS pads too, but haven't tried them yet.

Those pads sound like a good tip - where did you find them and about how much?

Also, new lines would probably help a bunch- I'm sure mine are original- 160k miles and 22 years. I'll do new ones soon- maybe braided, maybe not. An article on madxj.com has me thinking the fittings aren't all that great. However a standard rubber line probably would have failed under the same conditions. I guess price will be my limiter there.

Thanks guys...

Back