• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

had some problems with removing rear leaf springs

noel86

NAXJA Forum User
it's been one week now that the bolts have been bathing in penetrating lubricant. so today i started to remove the 2 bolts on the driver side that hang the rear springs.the front bolt snaped :gonnablow on me about half way out i thought it way the bolt it self but it was the the nut on the in side of the frame!

how do go about getting the bolt out of there and replacing it with a new one without damaging the integrity of the uni-body?

3m33pb3l55Y05W65X5a7cb8c5b92bd20a1e00.jpg

3k73oe3l25T25U35P0a7c83fcb8da85cd1f20.jpg

Unfortunately that seems to happen once in awhile. I've been lucky enough to not have it happen to me though.

Search around on the site a bit, I'm sure you'll find something. But more than likely you'll end up chopping/welding something.

~Scott

X2 on the cutting and welding method. That seems to be the only good long lasting fix that Ive seen people do.

Im more worried about your jack stands on cinder blocks......

As much as I wouldn't condone the use of jack stands on cinder blocks, I must admit, I've done it many times with no problems. But I do try and have a back-up plan such as tires under the Jeep or a hi-lift.

~Scott

x2

x2

Use wooden blocks..Or get 6 ton Jack stands. Simply put, It's not worth your life

6 ton jacks don't get my axles off the ground anymore. Don't even reach the frame with tires...

$$$$

~Scott

hey, don't worry about it my mom's not! besides i have a hi-lift jack on my class 3 and a another jack under the differential. its all gravy:D

If you have a welder, I would weld a Nut on it and continue removing it. Or weld a bolt. I keep an assortment of extra nuts and bolts just for this purpose.

Usually seems like the heat helps free the bolt also. Just a thought. maybe someone near by can help.

If you do cut that, you might consider cutting the trapezoid a bit smaller than the actual size.
That would maintain a bit of integrity by leaving the corners intact.

I had it happen on both sides of my jeep I cut the bottom out and in stead of welding it or leaving it open I made little covers for the holes and secured them with sheet metal screws. I think its strong enough I can get a wrench up in there again and it doesnt get mud and crap packed up in there.

6 ton jacks don't get my axles off the ground anymore. Don't even reach the frame with tires...

$$$$

~Scott

If that is true you have too much lift. I can still use 6 ton stands with my setup.

So, did you get it out?

Yes i did but what a pain shouldn't happen again.
thanks guys!

I did my rear leafs today on my '89 without any problems at all surprisingly. They were definitely rusty but no breaks.

Good to hear Nick!

Back