• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission is losing fluid

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
1998 4.0 AW4

So I'm assuming since my xj overheated (just put in a new waterpump) it may have made the transmission overheat a little bit? For a while I thought the periodic smoke (which I thought was coolant) is actually tranny fluid. When I looked under neath it looked like it was coming from the front of the pan. Could I have burnt up the gasket on the trans pan? I'm hoping this is the problem being she shifts fine. Was slipping into first a little bit but that was because I had no fluid in it whatsoever. It would only burn and smell when I drove the jeep for more than 30-40 minutes. Any ideas?

What is the condition of the fluid? Color? Smell? How is the fluid level, when checked correctly? (Directions are on the dipstick.)

Automatic transmission fluid HATES to be overheated--cuts the life of the fluid greatly. When was the last time you did a poor man's flush--i.e., changed all of the fluid?

Check for leaks. If your fluid got really hot, it may have bubbled out the fill tube and dripped onto the exhaust- causing smoke.

I'd say pick up a decent trans cooler kit for around $45, a bunch of Dex/Merc fluid, and a transmission flush kit (just pan gasket and filter) $25.

That should help quite a bit...(once you install them- buying them is only the first step:wave:)

Oh yeah, and as Joe said this fluid goes to shit when it gets hot. It is supposed to be thinnish, red, transparent fluid. See what it looks like on the dipstick. Even if it might still look ok, you'd probably be better off just doing the above regardless.

If your trans is not damaged, switch your fluid out with Sweptco and it will stop spitting out the vent no matter how hot you get it. It is a little expensive, but way better than what you will buy off the shelf. It is the fluid that is used in most off-race vehicles, off-shore race boats etc.. and is 100% compatible with your trans. It is actually a Alison extended life severe duty hydraulic fluid.

Interesting. I got on the creeper underneath and the fluid was dark. And was a light brown color when I thinned it out. I only added tranny fluid. It was red on the dipstick when I checked it. But it could be different now.

I'm trying to flush the tranny this weekend and get a new screen and gasket. Maybe even a new trans cooler.

So I crawled underneath with a flashlight. Where the source seems to be is where my transmission and engine mount. There is a drip next to the oil plug and a drip hanging off the housing of the transmission (front). Wouldn't a bad rear main seal leak engine oil? because mine has been dripping a couple of drops per day for a while now. So what could cause that transmission fluid to drip from there?

So I crawled underneath with a flashlight. Where the source seems to be is where my transmission and engine mount. There is a drip next to the oil plug and a drip hanging off the housing of the transmission (front). Wouldn't a bad rear main seal leak engine oil? because mine has been dripping a couple of drops per day for a while now. So what could cause that transmission fluid to drip from there?

The front seal on the trans. Get some good fluid in there and possibly do Joe's "poor man's flush."

What is joe's "poor man flush.". And yeah I'm probably going to go red and have a work party if I have to pull the trans. It's about time (since I work full time now) to pay my contribution to the site.

I took it to Cottman transmissions to look at it. He said my seal was most likely leaking. He also said that it was probably caused by a bad pump or something else in the transmission. Not sure what I should do..

edit: he also said I had the "toyota" transmission...

Pull the inspection cover and see if there is fluid in the bellhousing, which would indicate a leaking front tranny seal. I don't understand the Cottman guy saying its a bad pump unless he's just trying to sell you a rebuild you don't need. If its on the front of the flexplate, it might be the engine rear main seal (it was tranny fluid right?) The front seal isn't too bad to change. Its just a lot of work to pull the tranny out.

Pull the inspection cover and see if there is fluid in the bellhousing, which would indicate a leaking front tranny seal. I don't understand the Cottman guy saying its a bad pump unless he's just trying to sell you a rebuild you don't need. If its on the front of the flexplate, it might be the engine rear main seal (it was tranny fluid right?) The front seal isn't too bad to change. Its just a lot of work to pull the tranny out.

He said any number of things could have failed in the transmission causing a leak. It may be more than just a leaking seal. It's too much work for myself. I'm putting the jeep up on craigslist and am going to buy a stock xj. Possibly a 1989 with 140k.

Find another "transmission Dude".

That "Toyota" transmission is an Aisin Warner AW4. While a number of versions of the AW4 were used by Toyota--A340, A340H, A340F, A340E, none of them are made by Toyota.

From Wikipedia:
A340H

4 Speed Automatic Transmission (4x4)
Applications:

• 1985-1995 4x4 Trucks w/v-6
  • 1990-1995 4Runner (4x4)
  • 1998-2005 Toyota Altezza Gita Wagon (GXE15W and JCE15W)
(Gear ratios 1st-2.80, 2nd-1.53, 3rd-1.00, 4th-0.71, Rev.-2.39)
[edit] A340E (30-40LE)

Applications:

• 1987-1992 Cressida (30-40LE)
  • 1986-1998 Toyota Supra non-turbo
  • 1987-1998 Toyota Supra turbo
  • 1995-1998 Pickup 2.4L I4, 3.0L V6, 3.4L V6 (Tacoma)
  • 1993-1995 T100 3.0L V6
  • 1993-1997 Previa 2.4L w/supercharger
  • 1991-1997 Aristo 3.0L I6 Turbo
  • 1992-2000 Lexus SC 300 3.0L I6
  • 1990-1995 Crown Majesta 3.0L I6
  • 1994-2000 Toyota Soarer 3.0L I6 (2JZ-GE)
  • 1989-2002 4Runner
  • 2001-2004 Sequoia (4x2)
  • 2000-2004 Tundra (4x2)
  • 2005-2007 TOYOTA COMMUTER 2.5L DIESEL
Ratios 1st:2.804 , 2nd:1.531 , 3rd:1 , 4th:0.705
[edit] A340F

Applications:

• 1995-2003 4Runner (4x4)
  • 2000-2004 Tundra (4x4)
  • 1985-1988 4-Pickup (4x4)
Yes, it could be more than just a seal--but a few hours work, a little sweat, and you would know for sure.

Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Back