• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP207 to NP231 help

DraVen

NAXJA Forum User
since i cant find my old thread .. here my newb question... will a chevy np231 bolt up to my tranny where a np207 was?...heres this current specs.
1985 cherokee chief
2.8l v6
tf904 w/np207(it has bad chain slap and racheting sound coming from it)

any help will be great thank you all

Why not just drop the case, pop the rear cover off and replace the parts ? The only special tools you need are a good set of snap ring pliers, not cheap ones either, good ones. Transfer cases are fairly easy just pay attention to how things come apart and make sure you get the oil pump sump in when you put it back together.

You will also need front and rear driveshafts since the length is about an inch different and the front shaft is a different type.

Provided the splines and clocking are the same, that I don't know. I do know that with the parts and the TC out of the jeep it's a 20-30 min job to swap the parts, well. maybe 60 min if you realy take your time to clean the old RTV off the case pieces, thats time consuming. If you do decide to do it I would also replace the seal. Does yours have the fixed yoke or the slip yoke ?

If you have a streached chain and that is all, I'd replace the chain in the jeep. Like Rich said its not hard at all. You can go to your control panel and look in suscriptions to find your old thread. A good set of snapring plyers especially the flat ones not the one with pins. If I can help jsut hollar.

DraVen said:
if your talking bout rear output its a slip

Then it's easy, no yoke to power off with an impact wrench. The back of the case slides off once you have the bolts out. I think there's a snap ring right there but I'm not positive, I've only done SYE's on 4 or 5 and off hand don't remember a snap ring there, no, thinking about it I've also done a couple of seals, no snap ring on the outside.
You can do it in the jeep but it's easier on the floor/bench, less chance of damaging a NEW [if you didn't get that, use a NEW rear seal on that output shaft] :D seal, otherwise you are holding parts up that gravity is pulling down putting the cover back on. Use plenty of lube on that shaft when putting the cover back on, don't want to spin the output shaft inside that NEW seal dry. Pay atttention to the oil pump pickup and how it goes, thats the only real 'gotcha' for first timers.

DraVen said:
id... or should i say when i have problems i give yall a hola..

btw what is the difference interaly between the 2?
The low range and the 231 is longer. I believe the chain is the same.

I attempting this same swap right now. Apparently the 207 behind manuals are 21 spl and behind autos are 23 spl. I have a 21 spl 231, so it's not going to work to replace my 207 behind a 904. Also the seal is in a different place. How's does that work if the input on the 231 doesn't reach the seal in the 904?

IMG_1549.jpg

cccj said:
I attempting this same swap right now. Apparently the 207 behind manuals are 21 spl and behind autos are 23 spl. I have a 21 spl 231, so it's not going to work to replace my 207 behind a 904. Also the seal is in a different place. How's does that work if the input on the 231 doesn't reach the seal in the 904?

IMG_1549.jpg
Is that a 231 and 207 next to each other? It looks like 2 231's one with the short input gear and one with the long.

I have 3 207's laying arround.

Back