• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Press ?

It will probably do the job to removing/installing carrier and pinion bearings just fine.
That said, I wouldn't purchase it. It does have a very small working area.

Get one with a separate pump and ram. Way nicer not to have to worry about those springs in your face. Another nice feature is the ability to slide the ram side to side if the part you are working on doesn't fit in the center.
This one isn't cheap, but shop around. I got mine "used" (basically just assembled) for $100. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

Well the one on craigslist was a bust. Missing a few parts. Think I'm gonna go ahead and get the 12 ton one from Harbour Freight. Would love to find a slightly nicer one, but kind of need it by this weekend., and I think it should be able to do what I need.

I have the 12 ton harbor freight press, and it will do what you need. I bought it for this purpose, and have used if for my gears, MoparManiac's gears, as well as many other things, works fairly well.

Just beware if you need to do any wheel bearings on XJ44 shafts, it will scare the crap out of you.

A press with a ram that can move like the one Bill posted above would be great if you are going to use the press for multiple things, and can get one before you run out of time in your search. I know it would have made pressing the wheel studs/hub off and then back on when I changed my front 44 rotors.

I've used the poop out of a Harbor Freight 12 ton. All kinds of stuff. The only thing it couldn't do was pressing in new lower control arm bushings
in my RE arms. It got the old ones out though...Money well spent.

Back