• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS LIGHT PROBLEM

alex673

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all

I changed my front brake pads a week or so ago, and since then, the ABS light has beem illuminated and the ABS itself doesn't seem to be working...
Any ideas as to why this would be occurring? Also I removed the rear self adjusters for the handbrake... Could this be a contributing factor?

Thanks in advance

Alex

Last edited:
ABS systems need to be bled more extensively than non abs systems. My guess would be, that you have air in the ABS system. This can damage the ABS system if not bled asap.

You haven't said what year your XJ is...
You would also have a similar problem if you accidentally moved
the sensor too far from the tone ring when you were working
on the rear brakes. Lack of signal from any one of the sensors
would indicate a fault to the ABS micro controller.

The ABS bleeding procedure requires a DRB tool from what I've read, good luck, you *might* have to bring it to the dealer. That would $$$$$$uck :(

Sorry, just to clarify...

When I start the jeep up, the light switches on for a few seconds, I believe this is "self test" mode, then turns off. The light then comes on after a few minutes of driving and stays on.

I think maybe the tone ring idea could be a winner, but any ideas are appreciated. Thanks. Will let you know what happens

Cheers

Alex

Back