• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel and intake modifications, 1990 XJ

Explorer 1

NAXJA Forum User
Perhaps I'm not looking at the right places or asking the right people but no one seems to make a water tight canaster air filter system that will hold a high flow filter for my Snorkel application.

It would also apear that few if any even make a high flow (K&N type) air filter for my 1990 XJ that still uses the "smog" hoses originally installed in the OEM air filter system.

So with some basic skills and research I decided to adapt parts from the 1991 K&N intake system coupled with a higher flow, X-Stream Filter,
035.jpg

enclosed in a stainless steel two piece cone. This will allow for a water tight air filter while still supplying ample air flow.

Step one was to adapt the intake to fit the 1991 K & N Filter body.

The OEM intale body looks like this:

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

The intake has two odd shaped orifices which don't allow just a simple round tube adapter.

IMG_0096.jpg

I decided to take some plate aluminum machined to allow for the larger orifice and mate it with a tube large enough to allow unstricted air flow to the intake and smaller orifice.

009-1.jpg

The finished product looks like this:

IMG_0097.jpg

Once I recieve the silicone reducer the K&N body will fit like this:

IMG_0102.jpg

Next step will be the rolling of the two cone halfs to hold the filter and the modifications of the K&N body.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Nice job!

BTW, Rusty's, Hesco, and Turbo City/Rock It all make Renix intake setups.

Back