• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring clamps/rebound clips

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have the Husky Spring rebound clips on my leaf springs. If I leave them loose to allow more flex, they rattle like a bastard and slide around. If I tighten them up, they seem to limit leaf movement (the good kind). I don't want to remove the packs and have to drill and countersink a leaf on each side to use the riveted u-shaped kind. Can I bend up some u-shaped ones, drill a small hole in the center, and tack weld them to a leaf leaving the tops either open or with a bolt (or will the heat from welding the steel brittle)? I've read here that some people go completely without them, which seems somewhat unsafe to me. What do I do?
EDIT: Forgot to mention, in case it matters--they're stock leaf packs with a single, long AAL on each side just under the main leaf.

Last edited:
Well, I took off the rear clips on each side and will see tomorrow and in the coming days what effect that has. They came off well, so I can put them back on if necessary. The driver's side pack, though, did splay out a bit (maybe a 1/4") as soon as the clip was removed. I'm still interested in any help.

I only run clips on the rear of by bastard packs. Don't notice any rattles, but they do slid down toward the axle. As long as they don't slid over into the tires, I'm not too worried about it.

Yeah, when I checked them this afternoon after driving about thirty miles, the driver's side one was spread out a little more yet. It did seem to ride a bit softer, but that may only have been because I knew what I did and was thinking about it.

First, if you want to drill any hole in the spring, it is going to be very tough drilling and you will need a carbide or cobolt bit to do it.

Second, if you are speaking of welding on the springs, you are going to mess with the heat treatment of the spring and most likely make a hard spot in the steel. Any hard spot in the heat treatment is going to make that spot brittle as you suspected.

I stuck some goop (yes it's called goop) in them to keep them from moving. The goop solidified and it doesn't make any rattling at all. :)

Anthropy said:
[. . .] if you are speaking of welding on the springs, you are going to mess with the heat treatment of the spring and most likely make a hard spot in the steel. Any hard spot in the heat treatment is going to make that spot brittle as you suspected.
I decided against going this route, but thanks for confirming my thinking regarding welding on spring steel.

ChairOhKey said:
I stuck some goop (yes it's called goop) in them to keep them from moving. The goop solidified and it doesn't make any rattling at all. :)
Does is allow any flex then?

Back