• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose connections under dash?

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
Found these loose connections while trying to figure out why my wipers aren't working anymore. Any ideas about what they are and if they should be connected anywhere? Also is there anything wiper related under here? I know its not the stalk because I've replaced it and I'm out of ideas. Please forgive the terrible cell phone pics and thanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BASICS--Year/engine/trans/etc. and a description of the problem--no wipers at all, no intermittent, slow, etc.

And you've check for power to the motor?

Older XJs used a circuit breaker, not sure on the late models.

#2 and #3 are and that rats nest of wires are not factory original.

The spare wire plug #1 is probably for the optional factory alarm system to attach to.

The wipers are controlled by the multi function switch and the wiper motor. If you have not unplugged or changed anything under the dash, one or the other needs replacing. Test for 12 volts at the wiper motor.

#2 and 3 are related to the wipers? How?

What does the original factory wiring look like?

I'd say the problem is with your wiper switch.

No one's been fixing my Jeep but me since I've owned it, which unfortunately has not been for its entire life.

I resemble that statement!

Yeah, you better watch out for Bubba--he'll get you every time!:roflmao:

Dest--as said, check for power to the wiper motor.

Last edited:
Swapped the motor for one I had on my 96 and it worked. But the wipers go down and then up, instead of just up an down. I'm assuming I got something put in upside down or something? Ideas?

Ok, I looked up the 96 and 00 wiper motors--different part numbers.

I would guess that they aren't compatible, HOWEVER, maybe you can rearrange the wires in the connector and it would work. Unfortunately I don't have those wiring diagrams.

Good luck.

From looking at the motors side by side the only difference we could see was the actual plug. Same number of wires, same colors, same manufacturer, so we just swapped the connector. Could something be wrong in the configuration of the actual moving parts of the wipers?

More googling and I think my problem is the square bar that connects the motor to the moving assembly, I'll move that and see if it fixes it.

Back