• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower motor rubbing

robswampthing

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, my name is keith and i just recently bought my first jeep. it's not 4wd :( but i could not pass it up for so cheap. its a 1999 sport. 2.5 2wd 150,000 miles. when i bought it the blower motor fan died about 5 weeks later. and im just now getting around to change it because charleston is unreal in the summer. so i removed the old one. and installed the new one and i check for fod first but as soon as i try and turn it on. i hear a heavy rubbing noise from the fan. i removed it again and looked inside and i can see spot's where the fan is rubbing the housing. im just not sure what to do :/ it's a oem fit from rockauto. and it only goes in one way so i know i didn't install it wrong. i was wondering if anyone had any experience with this kind of issue. or any solution's. it would be great my wife and i are taking it surfing next week and would love some cold air!

thanks in advance and i look forward to becoming a member of the jeep community.

First, I would call rockauto.com and get their advice.

Second, if you don't want to wait, and you are willing to assume responsibility if things go South, then take a long hard look and see if you can clearance anything to eliminate the rubbing--a little filling here, a couple washers there, a BFH!

Good luck.

if it's rubbing toward the back of the HVAC box, I'd try some foam tape on the housing-- it might seal it AND take up a bit of space. If it's rubbing on the sides, I'd look to make sure the fan is installed perpendicular to the shaft and isn't crooked.

Hey i tried the washer's and it cleared up the rubbing accept on the highest setting which leads me to believe the fan is off balance. i noticed the new one from rock auto doesn't have any little weight clips. and the factory ones does. it work's on 1-3 so im just going to drive it like this until rock auto email's me back. thank you both for the help :D

Good! Have fun surfing, but please don't feed the sharks.

BTW, Welcome to NAXJA.

thank you for the welcome. the blower motor. i didn't get around to removing tonight. ill probably do it after vacation as long as i can even get 2/4 im happy. surprising enough it still freezes me out of the car. im so so so so much happier already! i'll let everyone know when i find a fix for future issue's. :repair:

When I had to put a new blower motor in mine I had to reuse my squirrel cage from the old motor.

IIRC, I had the same problem....I removed the blower motor and tapped the plastic squirrel cage down on the shaft just a bit more and that cured my rubbing.

Just be careful not to get it too close to the blower itself or it will rub there.

Back