• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cat

bblodgett81

NAXJA Forum User
is the 96 xj the only year with an O2 sensor directly on the cat or are there other modles and years that have that, that will match up on my 96????

Last edited:
My 97 had the O2 sensor right on the cat as well, I just ordered a Walker Cat from www.rockauto.com it is part number 15820...the O2 sensor is not directly on the cat but at the outlet side just before the pipe decreases in size. So far no problems....

What really sux is that this cat was recalled but since its hollowed out and i have 117k on my 96 i don't think they will replace it... any suggestions? i've seen quotes up to 300 dollars to replace it....

$42.95 too rich for your tastes?

I got mine on a close-out from RockAuto for something like $75 shipped. Walker replacement, direct fit, probably the same cat mentioned above. I'd say it's worth a shot at the dealership, but if they won't cover it with the recall, you can replace it for less than 300, for sure.

'96 was the 1st year for obdII, and thus the 1st year for the after-cat 02. iirc, the "main" cat stayed the same part number(after a bunch of supercessions) through '01.

I,ve replaced or had factory replace the cat 4 times on my 96. First at less than 80,000-for a rattle,2nd for the recall,3rd for massive miss fire problem,and 4 just because i didn,t want a problem on a long trip.
I used the Walker replacement,Cost about $100 at that time,No problems with the fit any time. and the O2 bung is in the pipe.

Wayne

Back