• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock Right trouble

ebjones7

NAXJA Forum User
I recently swapped a HP Dana 30 into my XJ and decided it would be a perfect time to install the locker I have had for over 2 years. I was always afraid to tear into my differential but went for it. I took the whole carrier out and removed the ring gear.
I did a lot of searching and reading before I even attempted anything. After everything I had read on NAXJA I felt confident. Removed the spider and side gears keeping track of all the spacers (2 flat and 2 concave). Read through the install manual that came with the Lock Right several times and then began to install. I greased everything like said to in the instructions. I am 100% certain that I put everything in exactly as instructed. The only thing that was not spoken of in the instructions was the concave washers. I did read a thread on NAXJA and one user/member said to make sure that I reinstall the concave washers when assembling. Taking his word like I do for almost everything on the site. One of the washers slid in no problem but the other involved a little force but nothing that seemed to be too incorrect. I had a the washers installed and then put the new cross-pin in. Proceeded with reattaching the ring gear and torque to spec. Once I had the carrier back together and had the axle bolted underneath the Jeep I installed the carrier into the differential. Torqued to spec and then proceeded with closing the cover and filling with Royal Purple. Installed axle shaft and all the other remaining parts.
Took the Jeep for a test drive without a front shaft b/c I was having a new one built. Drove great had no problems. My only slight concern as that I never heard any clicking that is always talked about. The Jeep took very tight turns with not problems. Everything seemed perfect.
Picked up my new front shaft a few days later and then bolted that up to give it the real test. First tried it on the street and when turning it would hop/drag like usual. Went down the street to where I knew there was some sand and a little mud. Once in the sand put it in 4hi and noticed that when I would accelerate hard it would pull very hard to the left. That was my first big concern. Then got up to the mud and figured it would be no problem b/c my buddies Chevy 1500 stock tires has gone through it before no problem. Slowly creeped in the hole in 4hi and started to give and and immediately got stuck. haha. First thing I noticed was that my front end was not locked. Forward/Reverse. 4hi/4lo. Nothing. Just the usual one front one back tire. Pulled my self out with my winch and went home and drank a lot of beer to forget about it. Now that I have sobered up haha I want/need to fix this problem. I know there is an abundance of knowledge on NAXJA! I appreciate any suggestions given!
Thanks to all.

I just installed Powertrax in the front, and rear of my 95. If you have the right setup
for your model I would think it would have something to do with the springs, and/or pins. Did you make sure the pins were in both holes and not cocked after installing springs ? { I had to "wiggle" mine a little to get the pins to seat in the openings of the opposite face }Are the springs doubled, and secure in their slots ?

I don't believe the concave washers go in there. You should only have the flat washers that go on the axle shaft drive plates. Take a good look at the instructions and make sure the measurements are correct.

I believe for the lock-right you install the flat washers ONLY.

But i still dont think that is the only problem?

Back