• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 trans

finley347

NAXJA Forum User
i am having a small problem with my 1996 jeep cherokee auto trans. when it shifts out of 1/2 it goes to 4th without hitting 3rd. if i leave the slector in the 3rd gear postion it works great, nice smooth shift and smooth shift manually when i move the selector to 4th. any suggestions on what or where to begin looking for the problem

There are checks you can run to see if the correct resistance is present on the shifter solenoids, I can't find the thread now but there are 3 pins which should have 11-15 ohms resistance to ground.

Do you feel it shift into second or straight from 1st to 3rd or 4th ?

1st and 2nd are one postion on the gear shift selector, then one spot for 3rd and one spot for 4th or drive. it shifts out of 1st & 2nd right to 4th or drive. the only time it uses 1st gear is when i am in 4 wheel drive and the gear shift selector is in 1st/2nd postition. i then can feel it shift back and forth depending on the rpm's. where do i find the shifter solenoids? do i need to tear the transmission down?

don't have to tear it down...just drop the pan and the filter....they are mounted to the underside of the valve body...just unpulug, unbolt and replace if busted. About $150 a solenoid tho.

Don't do that until you've tested their resistance at the TCU connector, just need to lower the dash panel to get at the connector then check pins C14, C15 & C16 they should have 11-15 ohms resistance to ground.

Back