• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Install

ADVNTURR

I worry when rattles stop
I just got a new GDI 3-core in the mail today and picked up a new thermostat that i am planning on installing this weekend. This is the first time I have ever delt with the cooling system and I was just curious if anyone has any hints or things to watch out for. I have a Haynes manual and some friends that are supposed to help me but just thought I'd check with the people with the XJ knowledge. Oh, by the way, it is a 1991 4.0L since I know that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

You might think about another radiator!GDI has a pretty bad reputation,Modine seems to be the way to go!

A lot of the threads weigh in favor of the GDI three core, but it is possible that you may get a poorly manufactured one.

Tips for install:
Do everything while the engine is cool and has not run for a long period (like overnight)
You may want to replace your radiatior hoses while you're at it, and if you do, make sure there is a big metal spring in the lower radiator hose.
A little vasaline ( A LITTLE) on the intake and outlet of the radiators makes getting them on and off in the future much easier
spray down your hose clamps with oil
spring for a mopar thermostat gasket, it has RTV pre-applied

My GDI worked like a champ until my daughter hit a tree with it. The only thing I remember being a little "fun" during the install are the two metal strips which secure it at the top. The GDI is ever so slightly taller and the stock strips aren't long enough. I snipped some sheet metal and bent it to fit.

Sarge

The swap is very straightfoward. Just pul the old rad and drop in the new one. Same with the t-stat. As far as the GDI goes, Ive had three in my XJ. First one was crap, let the coolant and tranny fluid mix, second one worked ok, and only tossed it in favor of converting to open cooling. This one has worked like a champ. After hearing all the praises, as well as all the negatives on the GDI it looks like its more of a luck of the draw kinda thing when you go with one.

Mike

I just pulled mine out yesterday and it was really easy. There are a few nuts/bolts that hold on the top bracket across the top of the radiator. Spray them down with a good penetrant before you start as I had one of them break. It was one of those bolts that are held in place by the insert type nuts - nuts on a spring clip.

Are you staying with the closed system, with the pressurized recovery tank on the firewall? I didn't think GDI made a 3-row for the closed systems on XJ's. Anyways, I would upgrade the recovery tank with a metal one. I bet Eagle knows the part number by heart. The stock ones don't last long and are prone to leaking. Good Luck

Woody

If your '91 is like mine, you probably have the open system. If the old rad has a cap then it's open, and you are good to go. In any event, make sure that you bleed the air from the system as you fill it with fresh coolant.
To do this, loosen the temp sender at the back right side if the rocker cover. It'll be under the injector wiring strip. Use a deep 13mm socket. As you fill the system you will hear the air escaping. Oh, and make sure that you install an OEM 'stat with the air bleed hole oriented to the top.

I figured I would resurrect this old thread instead of starting a new one. Does anyone know where a good place to order a high performance water pump? I am going to be upgrading to an aluminum radiator soon. Moving to the desert next year.
Any recommendations on the brand of water pump would be nice.

Back