• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front washer fluid won't squirt???

JACKO78

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 classic, and my front washer fluid wont squirt out, I checked all the fuses in the front panel(but I don't know what fuse is what, cause there is NO diagram), now the strange thing is the rear washer fluid squirts just fine.....can someone help me go in the right direction to fix this please.....thanks!

JACKO

There are 2 separate pump motors on or under the washer reservoir, 1 for the front, 1 for the rear. It's likely that your front pump motor has failed (they're just little teeny pumps). You should have a fuse that says RRWASH under the dash for the rear, I don't know about the front fuse circuit. The switch in the column could also be suspect.

try switching the connectors, to make sure the front pump is ok

The squirter nozzles get clogged up pretty easily. Try taking some very fine wire and cleaning them out.

There are 2 separate pump motors on or under the washer reservoir, 1 for the front, 1 for the rear. It's likely that your front pump motor has failed (they're just little teeny pumps). You should have a fuse that says RRWASH under the dash for the rear, I don't know about the front fuse circuit. The switch in the column could also be suspect.

my washer fluid reservoir is in my driver side fender, doesn't look to be the easiest to access...the only fuses I can find are the ones on the passenger kick panel, and there in no label telling me what fuses are what, it either fell off, or was never there, and there in nothing in my owners manual about it either.

JACKO

Keep your door open and with the key on, radio off, listen to hear if you hear a little "buzzing" noise coming from the front fender when you hit the rear washers.

Since you know that the rear sprayer works, do that one first so you know what sound to listen for. If you don't hear this when you do the front washer, then it is most likely your motor, they easily corrode and stop working because of their location under the fender.

If you have a multi-meter, you can unplug the washer motor and have someone hit the lever for the front washers, and measure the voltage going to the wires for the pump. If you see a spike in voltage, and the pump doesn't work, you will know 100% that it is the pump.

They are small money at a parts store.

Are you sure the problem's electical?

This was one of the first faults I had to tackle on my (then newly acquired) XJ - & an intro. to how difficult?complicated the simplest jobs are.

Anyway, pulled hoses off one jet, blew down it, tried washers again & water trickled out end of hose, pushed it back on jet, did same other side, put it all back together: washers have been fine ever since!

This was one of the first faults I had to tackle on my (then newly acquired) XJ - & an intro. to how difficult?complicated the simplest jobs are.

Anyway, pulled hoses off one jet, blew down it, tried washers again & water trickled out end of hose, pushed it back on jet, did same other side, put it all back together: washers have been fine ever since!

lol, i tried to find the hoses yesterday, and I couldn't even find those...why in hell would they put that in the fender is beyond me?...do i have to pull my wheel-weal off to see anything?

Yea, jack up the front end, remove the tire, don't argue, it's just easier with it off, remove the liner. I did run out and get a few of those plastic retainers that hold the liner in, a couple broke. Pump replacement, 2 minutes, total replacement because of idiot engineers design, 2 hours.

No! Well maybe - but I worked downwards from the jets. I removed the wipers, the scuttle vent & could then access the jets where the hoses are attached (i.e. pushed on). However, it may be that the jets can be freed from the vent panel from above and that there is then enough slack to pull them free and free of the hoses - which can then be blown down.

lol, i tried to find the hoses yesterday, and I couldn't even find those...why in hell would they put that in the fender is beyond me?...do i have to pull my wheel-weal off to see anything?

Thats coz they wrap em up in the wiring harness ..... makes finding leaks in the cab from the rear washer hose much fun ... :banghead:

Same, we used to make our customers love us at the quicklube garage by fixing their washer sprayers with a common office staple... pop a staple out of the stapler, straighten one leg, and use it to clean out the nozzles.

Back