• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

horrible vibes after lift

spitfyre

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, soo i put a 3" RC kit in my 99 cherokee, and some 31" MT/R's. After doing the lift i was decelerating off the highway and at about 80km/h (50mph) the entire jeep shook for a second and then went away. At first this only happened to me a few times but now it seems to happen everytime im doing 78-82 km/h.... any ideas? thanks

engine, trans, t-case, and rear axel?

check for loose bolts.
check alignment.
check bushings.
check your pinion angle.

did you install a transfer case drop or not? how many miles did you have on the lift when this started?

If you dont want to do the slip yoke eliminator right away, you're probably going to at least need a transfre case drop.

What you're feeling is most likely the u-joints in the driveshafts which are now operating at different angles than they have previously. I ended up having to replace all my u-joints (2 in back, 3 up front plus the centering yoke) before I got rid of all the vibes like you're describing.

I've had the truck in for an alignment since the lift, and had it into a shop for the u-joints, I guess illhave to read up on the sye or case drop, meanwhile I'll give another good look for anything obvious, it definitely seems to come through the steering wheel first then shake the whole thing
Edit: the u joints I had replaced were the outboard front axle ones

Vibes on decel is one indication that the pinion could be too low. Did you check pinion angle after installing the lift?

Thanks for the info, I think I'll have to pull my front shaft until I get a fix. It's more than a vibration, it's like hitting deep washboards

the front DS should be capable of living at that height, mine does just fine at 4.5". Check the double cardan joint at the t-case side for slop. I had a deep vibe and that's what it was, the whole joint wobbles, and it's got enough mass to really cause a deep vibe all through the chassis.

Back