• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Offset ball joint question

xjman96

NAXJA Forum User
I need to adjust my camber on a 99 XJ, by installing an offset ball joint. I find that both upper and lower can be offset. I just need to correct by 1 degree, what is a better choice, upper or lower offset?

Ideally, use a 1/2 degree offset in each, oriented opposite each other. This will keep the u-joint perfectly centered between the balljoints.

I put in 2 degree offset uppers in my 94 several years ago. I was unable to locate offset lowers at the time, and I haven't noted any ill effects.

Ideally, use a 1/2 degree offset in each, oriented opposite each other. This will keep the u-joint perfectly centered between the balljoints.

I put in 2 degree offset uppers in my 94 several years ago. I was unable to locate offset lowers at the time, and I haven't noted any ill effects.

Thanks.

I did some checking and I can get a NAPA 1 degree for $109 so, I'll go with that.

Why do you need to correct camber? Make sure you are solving the right problem before doing this, check if your unit bearings are worn out.

Other than that, sounds like you got things covered!

Why do you need to correct camber? Make sure you are solving the right problem before doing this, check if your unit bearings are worn out.

Other than that, sounds like you got things covered!

When I bought the XJ, the right upper ball joint was an offset 1.5 degree. Problem was that it was installed 180 degrees off creating extreme positive camber. Alignment check confirmed that it was way off. The right front tire was wearing on the outside bad, I had to do something.
I replaced the ball joint with a standard and had the alignment checked. It was checking at the end of the tolerance but within limits.
I bought a new set of tires and wear appeared to be normal for the last year or two, till I checked again a few days ago (my son's Jeep), I noticed that it was still favoring the outside a little. So I decided to give it 1 degree towards negative.
It seems that the previous owner had figured he needed adjustment and installed the offset ball joint. Unfortunately, somebody installed it wrong, favoring the side that was already bad, making it worse.
Right now it is not really bad, 1 degree should make it better.

Back