• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99XJ Sport strange problem? 4WD?

Stalker99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I posted this up at jeepforum too but figured I would get a bettter response here.

I recently purchased a 99 Cherokee Sport I6 Automatic from a junkyard and have had it for 3 weeks now. It was salvaged due to rear end damage which has since been fixed.

I decided to put a lift on it as it needed new shocks all around so I went with a 3" Rough Country lift. I started in the front and got everything on without a hitch. I moved to the back and was unable to get the rear wheels off due to rust. (I don't have many tools at my disposal) I decided to drive it to a friends house so we could impact them off.

While pulling out of my driveway, I heard a clank and a tire squealing. The steering wheel also started to shake back and forth pretty violently. I was only going about 10 mph. I stopped and inspected the front end. Everything looked fine. I turned around and pulled it back end and noticed the front right of the truck was going up and down. It felt like a tire was dragging, it wouldn't even creep forward and took a fair amount of gas to get moving.

I don't know much about cars, but I am learning as I go. I tried searching and didn't come up with much. Could I have messed something up driving with the front in up in the air? I am at a loss, any help would be appreciated.

Did you put it in 4 wheel drive accidentally? Sounds like you're trying to drive on pavement in 4 wheel drive.

I had shifted it into 4wd previously while it was sitting just to see if it would engage. I didn't drive it anywhere, just wanted to see if it was functional.

It may be stuck in 4x4. Pull the front DS and see what happens.

Not really - all you need is a 5/16 socket + ratchet (deep sockets are easier, better clearance) and a 5/16 box wrench, preferably 6 point. 4 bolts at each end, the box wrench is for the transfer case end of the shaft.

Another way you can test this is by jacking up one front wheel till it's off the ground and then trying to turn it. If the driveshaft spins as a result, your transfer case went back into 2wd properly.

Back