• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof cross brace separated from roof.

xj bmx

NAXJA Forum User
How should I re-atach them? From the factory they were just stuck witha a beefy foam, so i was thinking of useing "GREAT STUFD" foam but I'm not sure if that's a badd idea or not?

They were not held in with foam. They were held in with "rivnuts", or threaded rivets. Once you pull them out, you can't put them back, ever, unless you get new ones, and buy the rivnut tool.

To fix it, go to Lowes, or your nearest hardware store and ask for "well nuts". They are usually brass, and are surrounded in rubber. The metal part expands as the bolt is screwed in. The rubber part fills the hole and seals it. Get the size that fits snugly in the holes, and new bolts and washers too.

If you don't know what I mean, just ask one of the store employee's (find one that knows their shit) and I'm sure they can help you.

They were not held in with foam. They were held in with "rivnuts", or threaded rivets. Once you pull them out, you can't put them back, ever, unless you get new ones, and buy the rivnut tool.

To fix it, go to Lowes, or your nearest hardware store and ask for "well nuts". They are usually brass, and are surrounded in rubber. The metal part expands as the bolt is screwed in. The rubber part fills the hole and seals it. Get the size that fits snugly in the holes, and new bolts and washers too.

If you don't know what I mean, just ask one of the store employee's (find one that knows their shit) and I'm sure they can help you.
You are talking about the roof rack rails. He's talking about the crossbraces on the underside of the roof sheetmetal that go from side to side.

OP, I would either use great stuff :)gee: but cheap) or better, Liquid Nails or a urethane windshield adhesive might work well.

i just used 3m double sided tape on mine, worked great through 3 different rolls until i did a hard flop on my side and crushed the roof into the cage now they don't even come close to working :D

Windshield adhesive sounds perfect, tho how do you think it will do with sun beating down on the roof? I know the windshield gets hot to but not shure if its as hot as the roof? (Forest Green at that)

Not sure, but remember that the area on the windshield the glue sticks to is painted black. I think it'll do just fine.

This is a fairly common problem. If you want more than a cosmetic fix, you should use some SEM automotive panel adhesive.

Back