• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Tow Hook Installation

Mihogan

NAXJA Forum User
Hello again guys. Might be getting a rear tow hook real soon. Seems pretty straight forward, this bracket here bolts onto my "frame", just as I have been told. Only thing I am wondering about is how I can get the nut on the forward-most bolt, without taking the bumper off. I was told that I can just fish the nut back there, but I don't see how I'd be able to tighten it all the way back in the frame.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help, here's a pic of what I'm working with. No nut strip, the guy didnt use one on his, used the bolts and plates pictured

130137d1278399510-tow-hook-installation-xj-rear-tow-hook.jpg

Use a nut strip. It's called a Frame Reinforcement plate for a good reason.

I don't think you should fish the nut back there. The hook is supposed to be mounted with a nutstrip, not a just nuts. I can picture it just rippinig right out. Also, it would be almost impossible. When I first went to put on a hitch I tried to use the square washers they included. I couldn't even get the washers in place properly, much less nuts. I gave up and ordered the nutstrips.

Here's what you need, just $16. You have to take off the bumper. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=52001175

Ok dude, I'll take your advice. One thing I'm wondering about is how to take off the bumper. Anybody have a good writeup on it? I tried to ask for one on Jeepforum.com but all I got was written instructions (I'm a a picture kinda guy haha)

Well I would post a pic from the service manual but I'd get banned.

There are 4 bolts you can see from the outside of the bumper. You unbolt all of those. Then you unbolt the 2 brackets that attach to the frame. Each is attached by 4 studs to the frame.

Back