• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HORN Torque specs ??

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I had a problem with my 94 HORN i took the steering wheel center cap off , took off the three bolts and removed the plastic and metal peices I found out that the thin round metal plate was broken. I bought another one but I cant realy remember which way to install it because its concave.
Should I install it concave or convex ?
How hard should i tighten the bolts because I cant figure that out ?

Year would be helpful, some of the older ones used GM steering columns.

I don't think thats a GM but what I would do is put the parts together loosley on the colum and try the plate both ways. It is possible that the plate snaps the cap on ? and holds it in which case it would go on so it would stick up. We have a bunch of knowledgable people here, you might want to rephrase the question and if possible post a picture of the offending plate. I have not had a steering wheel off a non-airbag vehicle in many years and the part does not sould familiar, I also do not see it in either my 98XJ's or my 97TJ's factory service manual.

I did the trial and error method but it was mostly errors and I have to keep connecting and disconnecting the battery its realy annoying
i ll try to take some pictures tomorrow and post them

40 lb/ft for the steering wheel nut on my 2001, regardless of tilt or not

17 lb/ft for the column mounting bolts

don't know if that helps any, guess it kinda shows you the ballpark

Back