• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 Cherokee Headliner Color

jlmxj49

NAXJA Forum User
So I want to order a headliner kit from WLS headliners but I'm not sure which color of gray to get. My interior is color is Agate and the headliner is a lighter gray. On there website they have a light gray, sand gray, and a light titanium. I wonder if there is much difference in any of the three? What color did those of you with an Agate interior order?

:phone:
Pick up the phone and call them, then ask them which one is darker, lighter, or in between. Also ask if they can email you pictures of color swatches to get a better idea.

My 01 Cherokee has the rear speaker pods molded into the headliner board and I assume others are as well. Is it a pain to get the headliner material stretched and molded around these areas? I'm about to order my headliner kit and need to know if I need some extra material width or length because of this.

I would call them up and ask for some swatches to be mailed to you. Cameras, lighting, and your computer monitor all have different ideas of what color is what, you won't get much of an idea from pictures. The only way to really be sure is hold it in your hand and compare.

My mom works for a shade company and there are certain colors they will not allow someone to order until they've mailed them a swatch and had them double check to make sure that is really the color they want because of things like this.

I cut a small piece off mine and mailed it to them. My headliner is no good anyway. I talked to them last week before I mailed it. They're supposed to match it and give me a call so I can place the order. After looking at the area where the rear speakers are I got to wondering if I was going to have problems getting the material to mold around the pods. I had hoped somebody on here had done it.

All my headliner fabric was coming down like 90%. I get really sick of it. And removed all the fabric. And spray painted (3cans) the headliner board light gray. For now it's kind of ugly but better that it was with the fabric falling down. Now I'm planing to get a used headliner board and having it wraped with fiberglass. Just like how the custom fiberglass speaker boxes are made.

2001 XJ www.Bluexj.com

My headliner material is gone. Planning on pulling the board, using a roller and some kind of sealer on it. Once sealed I'm going to rough the surface and then glue some indoor/outdoor carpeting to it.

I did the speaker bar on my 96. It wasnt too bad. Granted a little easier than doing it with the whole board at the same time.

Couple tips:

Go get yourself a cheap toilet brush from the 99cent store. Snap most of the handle off, and chuck what remains into your cordless drill. Easily removes your old foam/glue

Also,you will need some adhesive. I used a mix of the 3M heavy/light headliner adhesive. Try and concentrate the heavy stuff around your speakers, as getting them to conform to a funny shape isnt as easy.

when you are ready, set up two trash cans to hold the board for you, triple check you have enough fabric to run over all sides a few inches (you can always trim it later). Fold the fabric in half and glue the first half down (using a few coats of glue on both surfaces. Up, down, and diagonal both ways) Its like a sticker, work from the inside middle toward the outside, chasing any bubbles. Then repeat for the other half.

Might want to recover your sun visors while you are at it!

Good luck!

Well I finally got around to doing this. I've had the material and adhesive for several months and finally pulled the headliner out yesterday. I've finally got the old foam off the board and got it clean. It had small hole gouged in it by somebody who had it before me so I filled it with some fabric glue. It probably would have been ok like it was but I filled it anyway. I'm wondering if I should spray it with some kind of paint say Krylon Fusion or some flat enamel paint. The surface of the board that the new material will glue to is made up of fiberglass looking fibers and a firm gray foam. I'm wondering if the spray adhesive will soak up into the board. I've read on here where other people have had that problem but their boards may have been different. Any suggestions?

Back