• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender flares

sprinkler1228

NAXJA Forum User
Recently had my 91 paint job done at Maaco. They wanted an extra hundred dollars to repaint my flares a different color than the truck. Its not a show rig but I like to keep it nice. Question is should I take off the flares to paint them black or just tape it off and paint them on the rig?

I'd definitely take them off so that you can prep them a little more thoroughly. Plus it would sure suck to get any overspray on that new paint job.

take them off and paint them yourself.

its worth saving that extra C note. not to mention, if the flares get scratched up, then you have the left over rattle can to touch them up!

when i removed my flares to trim, yep, they broke.

no problem for me as i was attatching them to the sheet metal futher up with some self tapping screws.

you could use small bolts and washers though if you break the boltplate off.

Yea they will all break on you. Just let them break and ones that dnt cut them off. Drill the bolt holes out of the retainer and then voila just get some new bolts and nuts and itll be like new.

No need to drill them or use any self tappers.

If you put the retainers over a socket that fits around the head of the existing stud and pound it from the other side it will pop right out.

then either buy some new M6 bolts or use 1/4" ones. Put them in, spot the heads to the bracket and be done with it. Simple as pie.

Use grade 8 cad plated bolts and nuts while you are at it so they don't snap off again in the future.

Or if you wanna take the easy way spend $80 at FWP and buy a complete new set of factory style retainers for the rig.

Or if you wanna take the easy way spend $80 at FWP and buy a complete new set of factory style retainers for the rig.
Who is FWP? I spent $106.00 at the dam dealer for just the fronts.
And sprinkler you should have taken them off before you got the rig repainted.
What Macco paint job did you get and do you have any pics of it?

I got the 300 dolar special they always advertise. I'll try to get pictures up. I thought they would paint them black till they called and told me it would be more money. I think most cars have more than one color but anyway I'll try to get them pics up.

Who's 300 dollar special? And who is FWP?

I used duplicolor bed liner black rattle can on mine, and the bumpers and the rubber thing under the radiator. Mine was silver before that had turned to silver primmer (looked like crap before) made a world of difference in the looks. 92XJ.

Back