• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust compatibility

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so I'm finally going to replace my exhaust with whoever if giving the best rebate (dynamax i think), my question is this......they list the 92 and downs for 80 bucks cheaper than the 96 would be.....can I get the earlier year or is it bent different? anyone know if the down pipes differ at all from the different year models also, got a good deal on a 98 but don't know if it will fit.

TIA

Doug

Tough call on some of your questions. I do know that you can overcome any issues with the downpipe matching up with the exhaust header by adding a stainless steel flextube in the downpipe before the CAT, where the pipe crosses from left to right.

Sample: http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=FLEXPIPE-250x8

There is a second benefit to adding the flex tube--relieves stress on the header and reduces the incidence of cracks.

Good luck.

that's a good idea but buying that would negate my primary objective of saving money

that's a good idea but buying that would negate my primary objective of saving money

That's just a sample I bookmarked for the image, do a little shopping, you can probably do better on the price! :cheers:

The kits vary in pipe diameter, the tips, mufflers(inlet/outlet sizes because of the pipe), and assorted adapters and clamps. You should be able to use the cheaper kit without much modification, if any. The more expensive kit has some OE style parts that you probably don't even need, and a stainless tip.

speaking from experience with the dynomax kits and CT weather conditions... make sure you spray it with some high heat exhaust paint before putting it on. This will help it last about twice as long. My friend put the dynomax exhaust on his '89 and it rusted out in a year and a half.

so I'm finally going to replace my exhaust with whoever if giving the best rebate (dynamax i think), my question is this......they list the 92 and downs for 80 bucks cheaper than the 96 would be.....can I get the earlier year or is it bent different? anyone know if the down pipes differ at all from the different year models also, got a good deal on a 98 but don't know if it will fit.

TIA

Doug

Doesn't the 96 have a second O2 sensor, mounted after the cat. converter? Maybe the price differential is for the additional "bunging up"?

muffler and tailpipe were different on my '88 vs '94. IIRC, the entire exhaust (cat back) from the '88 could go onto the '94, but none of the pieces alone would fit. The hanger does end up in the wrong spot with the cheaper exhaust, but that can (and was for me) be modified to fit.

Back