• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest Recovery?

Mihogan

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I'm somewhat new to the Jeep world and I need some cheap recovery for my Cherokee.

I've looked into front tow hooks, but it seems like that would cost me around $90, plus even after watching videos and reading writeups, I am afraid to remove the front bumper and do all of the work required for the front hooks.

I thought a hitch would be better, because i feel much more comfortable installing one of those myself, but it still would cost me around $90 - money I don't have and regardless of time, I will not be able to spend that much on something like that.

So does anyone know a cheaper way of recovery? Maybe something like a rear tow hook, that would just bolt up there and be relatively cheap?

Thanks in advance ;)

Bit of a problem: "Cheep" and "Safe" don't really mix with "Cherokee recovery points"
It's because of the unit body structure. All sheet metal, all the time. No heavy frame to bolt things to.

In the rear, a Class III hitch works well. Also, because of the way the mounts are designed, they also provide a place to mount tow hooks or shackles if you want them.

Up front, there is no easy solution. The MINIMUM would be the factory brackets. They also have the advantage of bending before the frame does. There are several aftermarket bolt on style brackets available.

Anything you put up there is going to require removing the bumper, but don't let that worry you. Bumper removal is easy, and you're not tearing into anything that will kill the wagon.
Good luck.

Anything you put up there is going to require removing the bumper, but don't let that worry you. Bumper removal is easy, and you're not tearing into anything that will kill the wagon.
Good luck.

I had to remove the steering box bolts and move the box back a bit to install my C4x4 hooks. I snapped a bolt flush inside the box and left me down for a few days while I figured that out... Not fun ha.

Still it's not a big deal if you don't snap any bolts.

Hey thanks for the help guys. Now, does anyone know of a hook I could mount in the rear? :read:

Go Junk Yard shopping. You can get stock tow hooks and brackets for less than $30. My stock rear hitch cost $35 with nutstrips and wiring connector. Thats $65 for front and rear recovery points. CHEAP and SAFE!!!!

I am afraid to remove the front bumper and do all of the work required for the front hooks.
wow... are you sure jeeps are for you man?

the bumper (in a late model) removes with 4 bolts, the end caps have 3 each. the bumper mounts are 3 each as well. its nothing to be afraid of. and it will HAVE to be removed and reinstalled with any type of hook.

keep an eye our for used hooks. often times youll find that people upgrade from hooks to full replacement bumpers. i scored my RR hooks for $60. if your going to get a bumper (or hooks for that matter) make sure they run the length of the frame rail. the stock bumper mounts WILL NOT DO for towing purposes. many jeeps came stock with a rear tow hook (drivers side) as well. most of the jeeps with this option will have skids, front recovery points, a hitch, and many other goodies. keep your eyes open. a hitch would be the best option though. check quadratec for a basic selection of options. they are a vendor here on NAXJA.

dont skimp on recovery, its probably one of the most important aspects of the sport. and speaking from experience... you want front and rear tow points. always looking at obstacles knowing you can ONLY be yanked out backwards is no fun. in many cases youll be the first one to hit an obstacle or hole knowing the guy behind you can pull you out, but youll find your rig KOed long before the end of the day.

Last edited:
Bit of a problem: "Cheep" and "Safe" don't really mix with "Cherokee recovery points"
It's because of the unit body structure. All sheet metal, all the time. No heavy frame to bolt things to.

In the rear, a Class III hitch works well. Also, because of the way the mounts are designed, they also provide a place to mount tow hooks or shackles if you want them.

Up front, there is no easy solution. The MINIMUM would be the factory brackets. They also have the advantage of bending before the frame does. There are several aftermarket bolt on style brackets available.

Good luck.

Bumper removal is definitely not easy. That was probably the hardest single thing I've done in my LIFE. It's like they intentionally made it nearly impossible to get a wrench in there, and when you do you still have to deal with the bolts being stuck.

Bumper removal is definitely not easy. That was probably the hardest single thing I've done in my LIFE. It's like they intentionally made it nearly impossible to get a wrench in there, and when you do you still have to deal with the bolts being stuck.

See thats what I'm talking about! Also, I think the PO got in a bit of a fender bender, because the one end cap is held on in a weird way and its a little bent. So I rather not mess with that.:doh:

Hey thanks for the help guys. Now, does anyone know of a hook I could mount in the rear? :read:

I have a set of two rear hooks with brackets that I'm trying to sell. XJ rear bracket was only made for driver side. Modified one bracket to fit on passenger side. Used these before I installed a receiver hitch. Check for sale forum on erieshoresjeeps.com

I have a set of two rear hooks with brackets that I'm trying to sell. XJ rear bracket was only made for driver side. Modified one bracket to fit on passenger side. Used these before I installed a receiver hitch. Check for sale forum on erieshoresjeeps.com

Hey, the $40 ones right? Listen though, I only need one, would you consider selling the driver's side hook and bracket? I don't have an account at that site so could you email me? [email protected] Thanks bud

Here, you can install these without removing the front bumper. It bolts to where a front hitch bolts

http://store.hicountryoffroad.com/Jeep-XJ-Tow-Hook-Bracket-with-Tow-Hooks_p_10.html
HiCountry Offroad has the solution for you.

• Brackets mount using existing holes in the frame where the front sway bar is attached and do NOT require removal of the front bumper

• Design also incorporates the lower two power steering mount bolts to increase the strength of the bracket as well as a known weak area in the XJ chassis, the point where the power steering bolts to the frame.

• Along with these two bolts we also use the large through- hole in the frame. All of this is to increase the strength of the bracket and chassis.

• Installation time: usually less than an hour with common hand tools and a drill. Some modification or removal of the lower plastic valance is required.

Kit includes:
(2) Tow Hook Brackets
(2) Standard Tow Hooks
AND all mounting hardware

OR you can get a front hitch, which also allows you to use a winch and spreads the load to both uniframerails.

i can pull a stockish bumper in 5 minutes, you guys fail.
agreed...

Here, you can install these without removing the front bumper. It bolts to where a front hitch bolts

http://store.hicountryoffroad.com/Jeep-XJ-Tow-Hook-Bracket-with-Tow-Hooks_p_10.html

thats funny... he doesnt want to remove the bumper, chances are he wont be stoked about removing the sway bar mounts, or some from the steering box.

get a TJ man... hooks came stock. barbie drives one.

Hey guys. I'm somewhat new to the Jeep world and I need some cheap recovery for my Cherokee.

I've looked into front tow hooks, but it seems like that would cost me around $90, plus even after watching videos and reading writeups, I am afraid to remove the front bumper and do all of the work required for the front hooks.

I thought a hitch would be better, because i feel much more comfortable installing one of those myself, but it still would cost me around $90 - money I don't have and regardless of time, I will not be able to spend that much on something like that.

So does anyone know a cheaper way of recovery? Maybe something like a rear tow hook, that would just bolt up there and be relatively cheap?

Thanks in advance ;)

Don't be afraid of removing the front bumper. Its easy as hell! Front tow hooks are nice because if your Jeep is Low like mine and you don't have bumpers(which I do now) they don't rob much clearance. A hitch is the best option for the rear. My advice would be to NOT skimp on the recovery points. They need to be strong enough to handle hard pulls and not rip out of your unibody.

i can pull a stockish bumper in 5 minutes, you guys fail.

Don't be afraid of removing the front bumper. Its easy as hell!

thats funny... he doesnt want to remove the bumper, chances are he wont be stoked about removing the sway bar mounts, or some from the steering box.

Is there a method of installing/removing the bumper/tow-hook brackets we noobs don't know about? I've taken two sets off (junk/parts Jeeps), and getting some of those bolts off was a serious PITA. We're talking about hours of work. (Mind you, I have low stamina, and need frequent rest stops.) The worst were the nuts in front of the steering box...

If there's some method we're missing, or if you know a better way to build this particular mousetrap, then please let us know. I'd love the info, as I'll be doing recovery points soon.

:)

Edit: Also, anyone know a good source for the nuts & bolts you'd need to install the brackets/hitches? Yes, I know the junkyard would be cheapest, but chances are excellent that the same bolts that I broke/lost are going to break from there as well. (Also, I'd feel better about new hardware, as has often been mentioned, I don't want to skimp on recovery points.) Can one order them from the dealership? Aftermarket?

Last edited:
Back