• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dome Light LED Upgrade - PUTCO #980116

Mesh

NAXJA Forum User
The original plastic sockets for the dome lights broke so I’ve been looking for a fix. I was going to replace them with a socket from a newer Cherokee but then I found some universal led’s that would work better.

I used two PUTCO universal led dome lights #980116. It’s the largest universal led dome light they make with 24 led’s. The dimensions are listed as 1.25”x2.25” which you would assume is the size of the circuit board but it’s actually the size of the led’s on the board which is a useless number. So the actual size is 2.555”x1.385” they ended up being a perfect fit.

It was an expensive upgrade but I’m satisfied with the results. The lights are good and bright with a slight blue tint but not bright enough to be distracting. I wish I had a before picture but they’ve been broken for so long. I decided to go without the covers for now since it blocked too much of the light. I’ll be making some clear lenses in the future.

imgp1103j.jpg

imgp1108m.jpg

imgp1115y.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, you took a bad and came out better for it.

You said expensive, but you didn't state the amount?

Project cost $49.25. Now I have to replace the map and courtesy lights. They look so dim and yellow now.

nice job...damn that's a clean interior, I'm trying to spill gear oil on the last few spots in mine so it's all the same color

I cut out the old socket then cut a plug off one of the universal adapters and soldered it in. If the sockets are not broken you could use one of the universal adapters. Or even easier buy a led festoon.

nice job...damn that's a clean interior, I'm trying to spill gear oil on the last few spots in mine so it's all the same color

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has to consider this option.

I tried a little battery acid on my old carpet it gives a nice effect after the gear oil treatment.

Heh, I've got that too....right in the passenger front floor board.

The kick panels looked terrible after the dome light upgrade. I made an order from autolumination.com and went with two of their 194 5 LED SMT Towers.

640imgp1290.jpg

I also tried one in the gear selector but it was too bright and didn't dim well. I tried some different led’s in the map lights but they didn't work out either.

Back