• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bronco Dana 20?

wolfmanxj

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever run a Bronco Dana 20 b/h a NV 3550 in an XJ? I like the idea of a gear driven, iron t-case. I know the stock gears suck, and would upgrade w/ tera gears. I've seen the adapters to this tranny on Bronco sites and also a true twin stick set-up for it. Don't have the case or the tranny yet or even the stroker I want to run it b/h just gettin ideas for when I do. Main question is speedo gear and if it can be made to work w/ stock electric speedo. So I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

Yes, it can be made to work. I'm actually working on this now. I have the D20 behind a 231 Box4rocks (installed with much grief by my buddy Bob at Ocean State Off Road).:twak: Thanks Bob!

I still have to figure out the shifters and adapt the speedo, but here's a link that may help:
http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/Tcase_Dana20EarlyBronco.htm
Scroll down to the bottom where it explains the "Jeep VSS/Speedo Connection." I just got off the phone with North Hollywood Speedometer and will be shipping them my Jeep VSS and the remains of the Ford speedo cable (t-case end) so they can make me an adapter.

if you are going to do that, why dont you just use the IH dana 18 that has front and rear passanger drops, then you could use oldschool waggy dana 44s that are front and rear pass drop. This would give you the twin stick you are wanting, and having the diffs both on the same side makes picking a line a little easyer if you are not running 33s or better.

this isn't going to be a serious wheeler, yet. 98% DD actually thinking of EB 9" in the rear and a ford HP 44 up fr or a later waggy 44 fr and Isuzu 44 rr but later. right now just wanting to get ideas for a strong base to start w/ . I Like the D20b/c its shorter and stronger than 231 and also gear driven. Thanks for the link to High Impact thats exactly what I was looking for.

The Bronco D20 is a pretty stout unit. I run one in ........my Bronco! They came with 2 different ratios 2.46:1 and 2.33:1. The earlier "T" handle shifted cases had the more desirable 2.46:1 ratio. In '73, Broncos were available with the C-4 auto trans and Ford changed the t-case shifter to a "J" pattern and changed the ratio to 2.33. A company called: O' Brien's 4Wheels West offers a 4.88 gearset (very pricey) and 32 spline 300M output shafts are available from other vendors, as well. If you're looking into doing some sort of swap, they came with three different length input shafts: V8 manual, 6 cylinder (which were all manuals) and automatic. However, all of them are 23 spline and easily interchanged. The D20 also has a 6 bolt circular mounting pattern which might be helpful in a swap......Yeah, I'm a Bronco nut!--------Hans

Last edited:
Back