• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33"=31"=sux

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought some used 33" Maxxis Mudzilla tires trying to step up from my 31's. Nothing at all against who I bought them from as they were great, but just compared them to my 31" BFGs. They are only 1/2 inch bigger....wider yes but diameter looks almost identical. They measure 31" unweighted.:rattle:

I didn't realize some 33's were THAT small. Trying to decide what to do now. May resell them and keep the 31's till something else comes along.

Yeah, big difference in actual versus marked tire diameters.

I always mark the sidewall and the floor with tape, then roll the tires one full turn and measure the distance traveled--I match all four tires even when buying new.

My kevlars are first tires to be as big/bigger than marked. Measure 35.2 mounted. Most tires are usually 1/2-1" shorter than labelled

you bought used tires that will also make a difference. When I was first looking for 31s I bough a set of used 32s and got pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

normal offroda tires usually have about 21/32s of tread new, for every 1/32nd of tread depth you lose you actually lose 2/32s in diameter.

I believe the Maxxis ones come in 19/32" new. 21/32" is really huge. Treadwright's version of the MTR comes in that depth. I also know the Kuhmo KL71 (AWESOME looking tire) only come with 15/32" new :( The variations between manufacturers "tire sizes" can be HUGE... Always dig deeper and look for solid numbers. Reviews/actual tread depths/diameters/etc.

I believe the Maxxis ones come in 19/32" new. 21/32" is really huge. Treadwright's version of the MTR comes in that depth. I also know the Kuhmo KL71 (AWESOME looking tire) only come with 15/32" new :( The variations between manufacturers "tire sizes" can be HUGE... Always dig deeper and look for solid numbers. Reviews/actual tread depths/diameters/etc.

Ive noticed the major tire MFRs have been posting tread depth and actual diameter of tire sizes. I know for sure BFG and Interco do it.

Back