• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oe electric fan does not go on

revmeup

NAXJA Forum User
91 4.0 auto

OK............so if I check the sensor with my ohm meter it checks out ok. And I checked continuity from the fan to the relay........all good. And I can make the fan come on when I close the sensor circuit. The fan also comes on when the ac or defroster is on. It just wont come on when it gets hot (210) and up.

Any ideas?

Ok, at what temp doe the fan switch complete the circuit?

218 is the temp. that the PCM needs to see before the fan circuit is energized.

Not sure the PCM controls fan operation on the 91, but I could be wrong--its happened before.

Check the temp sensor in the radiator. Simply unplug the connector to the sensor, and short the connector that runs to the pcm. if the fan kicks on, the sensor could be bad.

I wired a toggle switch from those wires to fool the pcm into kicking the fan on whenever i feel the need.

Thx for all the feedback!!!!!!!
did some more playing with it..............fan comes on but gauge shows 235. Next I will confirm the actual water temp in the t-housing to be sure it is the same as the gauge. Not so sure the gauges are accurate. I have several new sensors for the 91 xj HO. If the sensor in the t-housing now is triggering at an actual 235 or close I will switch it out and try one of the others I have to compare and if the results are similar I will look for other sensors with lower trigger on levels.

Back