• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap hood vent alternative

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I wasn't looking to spend a bunch of money, or go with lebaron hood vents or expanded stainless,etc. I wanted something that would also work in the rain and snow we get. Found these : http://www.oceanpacificmarine.com/store/products/screw-in-deck-plates in cambell river. $20 plus some for two 6 inch plates and one 4" plate. Within a few days I was installing them. I placed one right over my cold air intake box for true cool air, and the other two directly over my exhaust/intake where she likes to get warm.
Picture008-2.jpg

Picture001-6.jpg

Picture002-5.jpg

Picture004-4.jpg

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture007-2.jpg

no, was having some driveability problems, monitoring fuel pressure

That is pretty cool. Is it really necessary to cover them when it rains? Its a cool idea if it is necessary, but I am digging the circular vent look. 2 on each side of the center hood line would look good.

That is pretty cool. Is it really necessary to cover them when it rains? Its a cool idea if it is necessary, but I am digging the circular vent look. 2 on each side of the center hood line would look good.

Thanks, the plan was one on each side, but after thinking I put them both over the hot spot, I may get two more for the other side. I dont think the two big covers are really required, but the little one over my cold air box kind of is if it gets raining hard

for all three $20 canadian, so converts to like $6 dollars U.s for all three? It comes with templates, I marked the cuts with white paint pen , and drilled a start hole with a step drill bit and cut it out with a jigsaw, very easy.

2012-03-29140250.jpg

2012-03-29140307.jpg

added a temp contolled fan to vent hot underhood air

haha I like it, different idea, it looks totally horrible but functional.

yes fused to battery. hot all the time with the sensor on the intake below #3 injector. i was having hot soak restart misfire problems.

Do you have a finned vent over the fan or just the empty round hole?
I am thinking water entering the fan and,....:dunno:

Water entering the fan? Air moves through the radiator, but not water? If the fan is designed to go under the hood, it should be designed to get wet. My wife's wj as an additional 10" e-fan installed in front of the radiator on the drivers side, water hitting it at speed for the last 2 years and not a hint of trouble.

If its raining hard I'll put the vent caps on, just keep them in my drivers door pocket. But I'm not at all worried about water damaging the fan. I clean my rc motors in a cup of water submerged and they never have an issue.

Water entering the fan? Air moves through the radiator, but not water? If the fan is designed to go under the hood, it should be designed to get wet. My wife's wj as an additional 10" e-fan installed in front of the radiator on the drivers side, water hitting it at speed for the last 2 years and not a hint of trouble.

Yes, I agree that fans designed for use in automobiles are usually sealed enough to keep rain and hose splash out of the motor. What I was trying to find out is wether or not that/those fans were designed for the auto industry or some off the shelf unit/s to be used on indoor electronic eqipment.

Back