• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont accelerate past 45?

Manimal

NAXJA Forum User
I am buying a 91 XJ Laredo. The owner says it wont accelerate past 45 of the freeway(no power). What should I look for? Thank You...this is the only info I have so far.
-Lance
BTW 91 XJ,4.0,AW4,2wd.

check to see if brakes are stuck. after my booster swap my pedal wouldnt come back far enough to fully release the brake and i couldnt go past 50 and could smeel my brakes cooking...
may not be issue but was something i had issue with

You could check to see if the cat is clogged also...or like in4aride said, possibly brakes. I also had trouble with my brakes hanging up for a while.

Dragging brakes, clogged CAT, clogged fuel filter, poor fuel pump, and a bunch of other things.

Yeah you really need to check symptoms when you see it... to add to what Joe Peters said, possibly timing off (maybe?) or a clogged air filter or a bad TPS or O2 sensor. Could be a shot transmission, too, I guess, or low/bad fluid.

Depends on how accurate his description is, and I've seen everything on that front, had people say "wen i start it it pop out intake and die" and expect me to figure out what the hell they mean by that AND what is wrong with it.

I would too, but it's 2wd. She also says it vibrates. Idles fine and does not vibrate when revved in park and revs fine.....I guess I am going to have to drive it. She is wanting my '88 MJ 2.5,4spd,no power steering,no A/C....kinda makes me wonder?

Distributor indexing?

Back