• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears

Hickboii

NAXJA Forum User
anybody here have the skills and equipment to do gears? im wanting to put 4.56's in. i'm located on McChord when im home. i have an 86 xj with 30 front and i believe 35 rear. i have a kegerator in the garage if that helps.

Not to hate or anything...but why would you spend the money to gear a D35? At least a D30 has a fighting chance, but for the money a D35 can be replaced easily/upgraded significantly for another $100-200.

Good luck getting the gears set-up...I personally paid John at ACRO to do my gears, for something as important as gears and considering it's something that is pretty much impossible to fix on the trail when it does break, may as well have someone who know's what they're doing set it up.

~Scott

well my buddy thats helping me said it may already have the 8.25 in it but he would have to go back to my house and look. i would do it but im not currently in the country. Still need to find someone who knows what they are doing to do the install no matter what rear end it has in it, if i have to pick up another axle first thats not a problem.

Does it have abs? If yes, 35 if no 8.25 most likely.

good question that will be another one on the list for me to ask. sorry i don't have alot of the answers on hand, but i just bought this jeep about a week before i left. now it's almost time to go home and i'm trying to get all my ducks in a row so i can get up and running in the 2 weeks i get off when i get back. i'm starting to go stircrazy i want to work on it so bad.:roll:

In an '86 it might even be a leftover AMC-15 from before AMC sold the tooling to Dana and renamed the axle to a Dana 35. It would also be the non c-clip version of the D35, which has at least that one redeeming feature that the newer D35's don't. Although they do have 27 spline axle shafts, I have broken the ring and pinion in mine but never had problems with axle shafts.

Another thing to consider is that the '86 will have either the 4 cyl or the V-6. Neither of those generate the torque of the 4.0L.

It might be fine to go ahead and re-gear it.

well it doesn't seem like it going to be hard at all to upgrade the rear. so i still need to find someone who can install gears

well it doesn't seem like it going to be hard at all to upgrade the rear. so i still need to find someone who can install gears

Yeah upgrading the rear is no problem, so if you're going to put money into axles...do it now.

And as noted, if you rig IS an '86 with a 4 banger or V6...I can't think of a single person who wheels who would argue you to NOT sell it and buy an '87+. Don't start with a crappy platform if you don't have to, and you can find Cherokees under a grand in great shape with a I6 no problem.

~Scott

x2, screw determining what rear axle you have - what's under the hood? I know a few peeps that've swapped in a Chev 3.4, a few 4.3's, but why waste the time and money since, as previously mentioned, 4.0L XJ's can be had for a few hundred bucks?

Last edited:
If its a 4 banger your gonna want to go with 4.88's because your jeep should have came with 4.10's from the factory.
4.88's should put you back to stock performance and you wont have to change your speedo gear with 33's.
The good news is you wont have to buy a new carrier for the d30.
Your gonna want to change out the front drive shaft to the 87 and newer style also all you need it the front output yoke off the tcase and driveshaft out of 87 or newer xj.
It should only cost you about $20 at pull a part.

i'm not worried about it being a 4cyl. 4.88s sound fine.i put tire size and current ratio into one of the ratio calculators i found and thats what i came out with, but i still need someone who can install them. i would like to learn how to do it myself, but i need expert to teach/guide me through it.

Back