• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question For You All

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
This is sort of tech, sort of musings of a moron. So there's this '88 MJ I drive by everyday on the way to and from work, naturally it caught my eye. Noticed a "for sale" sign in the window the other day, stopped to take a look. I haven't called on it, but I'm sort-of considering whether it'd be worth looking into. It's been lifted (TNT LA) with what appear to be about 7" coils/leaves. Leaf springs are over the axle, not sure if that's custom or particular to that year. 4.0L (Renix) manual trans (major drawback IMO, aluminum case, maybe a BA-5 or whatever sh!tbox they put in the early ones) t-case looks like a 231, Dana Turdy-Five in the rear, disconnect front D30 (cast sleeve on the tube) Brand new looking BFG KM2's in 35"x12.5"x15" flavor. Body is mostly straight, slight dents at LR corner behind wheelwell, front pass weheelwell area.

I'm just talking out my anus here, but I've always thought the MJs were cool. Not big on the Renix engine, but from what I've read and my experience (had an '89 XJ many years ago) they're not terrible. I'm flirtiing with the idea of lowballing this dude (he's asking $4200) swapping my axles and bumpers onto it and wheeling the piss out of it. I would of course sell my '98 XJ and make this my DD/weekend toy.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Let's B.S. about it.

Doug

It is a short bed, my bad for not posting that.

I think you could turn a short bed into a decent machine. Not to offend any current or former long bed owners, I'd simply prefer a shorty. Since a transmission switch is needed, you could drop in an AW4 or AX15 or whatever you want. I say give it a shot.

Or you could go the GM 4.3L with appropriate trans route...

Almost did that to my 89!

Could you get by with an MJ DD? Space constraints with no covered cargo area? At least with out a camper.

I usually have a couple co-pilots. so teh XJ works great.

Doug,

1. I don't have any issues with the Renix, I don't think that is that much of a negative. But definietly not a positive!

2. Yes, I would want to swap out the tranny with a AT (AW4).

3. Yes, swap the rear axle, I believe the spring over is a common lift for those MJ's.

So, what is the benefit of the MJ over the XJ? If you want the pick up bed obviously it makes sense, but obviuosly you loose the seating and dry camp gear storage of the XJ. In my mind this is what really dictates your decision.

The real benefit of an MJ for a trail rig in my mind would be a tubed flatbed (bob'ed) that would hold all of your gear (in boxes), could be a cool two seat DD/trail rig.

Michael

I would do it.

Do it. MJ's are badass.

I've always liked them, but it had better be a decent one for that price.

I'd personally stick with the 98 if i had to choose. Less trouble in my opinion. Unless you need the truck portion... Honestly if it was me and i wanted the MJ, I'd buy it and have both but I'm weird like that.

For a wheeler, I'd build the truck...because in the long haul the rear would be super easy to toob up a bit more/add goodies/relocated things and still be able to throw a bed back on and have it all come together, or mod the bed pretty easily.

For a DD, I'd rather have SOME room behind me. If the Comanche's came in crew-cab/extended cab flavor I'd be all over it though.

~Scott

I say do it. Everyone loves MJ's, especially since this one is pretty much good to go minus the axles and a crappy trans. I would prefer a 91 & ^ non-renix engine, but my 89 has never had a single issue and runs just as strong as day one. It all depends on how people take care of them. Plus with how rare they are getting, it would be sick to own a sweet piece of history.

Honestly if it was me and i wanted the MJ, I'd buy it and have both but I'm weird like that.
This.

I'd be a hypocrite if I suggested anything else :eyes:

The reason I'm even considering this is because it's already got things done to it and would take basically an axle-swap to be wheelable. The tranny swap would be a 90% likely deal in short order too. I would be able to sell/use most of my salvaged XJ parts, sell the stuff off the MJ I didn't want (lift is too high, stock axles are crap) and in basically a long weekend I could throw on a bed-mounted roll bar and be good to go. I would be comfortable building a cab/bed exo for this too, moreso than an XJ. My XJ will require a huge initial investment before I'll be willing to wheel it, and I'm kind of sick of having to worry about/drag the box and all the glass through the trees.

I don't know, this is just a "thinking aloud" type of thread. I'll probably do nothing and sit on my ass for the next six months Jeep-wise while paying some other stuff off.

If you want to swap your junk to the MJ, I'd be down for a work party. Just sayin.

~Scott

Back