• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PCM Interchange for 97

Anker26

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my pcm yesterday and everything came to life (sensors, relays, guages, etc). Now I have a new issue. The part numbers on the pcm's don't match. The one that was on my cherokee is P56041 277AD and the one that I purchased from a salvage yard is P56041 280AD. The yard says it should interchange with no problem. I called my local dealer and they said that the 280AD had been discontinued and that is all they could tell me. I do know that both part numbers belong to a 97 4.0 automatic which is what mine is. How can I verify that the new one is ok. I don't want to destroy a sensor or something by attempting to run the engine.

If you were going to destroy anything you already did, electronics die fast when they're used wrong.

The P56041 277AD is for a 97 with the 4.0L, AW-4, and Federal emissions.
The P56041 280AD is for a 97 with the 4.0L, AW-4, RHD, and California emissions.

I am honestly not sure why RHD vs LHD matters, the California emissions means you might need to swap some sensors, but on a 97 I don't think it does. You'll get a CEL if the ECU wants you to fix something else.

Back