• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure

nblanton

NAXJA Forum User
Now that the tranny is out, should pull the oil pan and swap the oil pump? I just rebuilt the old one right before the trip to Tennessee. My cold pressure jumped from 60 psi to well over 80 psi, but as soon I get warmed up it drops down to around 10 psi at idle and 22 psi at around 2000 rpm which is the same as before. Do I have a really bad oil overheating issue and if so would a cooler be the solution? Or is the old pump just not any good. I run 10W30, have also used 10W40 with the only real difference is cold pressure. The thicker stuff gives higher pressures at start up, then drops to the above numbers. I checked all the bearings while I had the pan off last month and they were all in good shape. Also, I had the pressure sending unit swapped out about a year ago as the old one was leaking badly.

I recommend you consider a high-volume oil pump instead of a standard pump.

you rebuilt the old pump? if its the aluminum unit the housing is mostlikly bad. i would recomend the hi vol also . thats what i put in my engine at 173k and im at 230k and still run normal press (hot 20 idle 40-45 at 2k rpm)

Another high-volume pump here. Put one in my 94 4.0l several years ago, and it seems to work pretty well. Sounds like you've either got some pretty good gaps in your engine, *OR* the pump just isn't cutting it. And the pump is probably easier to deal with now.

how hard is it to install a new pump. is it just droping the pan.. or is there more to it then that. was wanting to install a HV pump and an oil filter relocation deal so i could fit an oil cooler.on the.lines. thanks

There are some high volume pumps available that are direct fit, however the Melling I believe you have to do a little hammering on the pan to clearance it for the fit of the pickup.

Other than that it is simply two bolts when the pan is off.

There are some high volume pumps available that are direct fit, however the Melling I believe you have to do a little hammering on the pan to clearance it for the fit of the pickup.

Other than that it is simply two bolts when the pan is off.

Be prepared to do some hammering. The pump I got from Napa came with a new pickup tube and screen ( a $36 value) for about $85. The stock replacement pump was $83 and didn't come with the tube/screen.

For what its worth. If anyone else decides to do this pump swap: chunk the new pickup and just use the old one. There is absolutely no difference except the new one is about 1/4" longer. I put it in and thought I had the pan in good. I lost 4 quarts of oil in less than 15 miles, my truck looked like I just backed a boat into the Gulf of Mexico, and was smoking so bad from the oil all over the undercarriage it looked like a Cheech and Chong movie when I stopped.

Oh, and the oil pressure problem is fixed.

Good info, glad you got it fixed!

Back