• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer vs. OBDII

fool4wheelin

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I was playing around with my OBDII reader and I noticed that the OBDII vehicle speed was consistently 2 mph lower than what was displayed on the speedo in the cluster.

Is this a defect with my speedo or is this something Jeep did to keep us from speeding?

I've done the cluster-check where you hold the odometer button while turning the key and the speedo doesn't land on all the check-points like you'd think it should.

I wouldn't worry about it. Most speedometers read a tad bit fast. Federal standards on cars for the U.S. market used to allow up to a 5% error, that was back in the late 90's. probally holds true today. Its always better to read a few mph fast than it is to have it read slower than your true speed. I'd imagine its probally down to like 1% or 2% error on most new cars unless you have different size tires or regear your differentials.

My 92 actually reads dead on with my gps after I went from 225/75/R15 to 30X9.5X15 tires. The only vehicles I have ever seen that were dead on accurate were certified speedometers for police cars. When I worked at vw we had a few cars come thru with the instrument cluster coded for european options and tire size and those cars all read way to slow.

Back