• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trackbar end- how worn is too worn?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
Real question in bold below...
I've had a horrible clunk right under my feet since I bought the '88 about a year ago. It's really been bugging me for a few months. So I went about figuring out what all that linkage junk is on the front end.

The clunk would only appear when I was turning - and was really bad over bumps while turning. That led me to believe it was the track bar (keeps axle under truck).

After reading a while I assumed it might be the frame-side bracket or one of the ends.

Finally got under it today and pinpointed the clunk. The rod end that mounts into the frame bracket was loose- real loose. There was about 1/8" of air between the mount and end. No other linkage is loose/wiggly.

The rubber part of that rod end is pretty soft to the touch. I tightened the castle nut to about 2 flats past snug and re-pinned it. Can these things catastrophically fail? Or will the rubber wear through and then it'll be metal-on-metal (keeping me on the road/needing a new part). How long can I expect this end to last before I get an aftermarket part (3" lift coming soon)?

Seems to be a great fix, just worried it'll fail since it's old/worn and now tighter...

My handling is MUCH better. The steering used to be very sloppy and I was wandering at speed with a crosswind. Now it's firmer, tighter, better handling- and no clunks. So far it's one of the best things I've done to improve the old XJ. I just can't believe it took me this long to actually get under it and fix it.

FIX IT! :scared:

If that rod end lets loose completely (would not be surprised, given the problems you just semi-fixed), you lose all semblance of steering. It WILL be a very bad day.

Hell, just throw a junkyard part on if you can find one in decent shape, or get one from your local chapter's classifieds for cheap from someone who just put their lift on.

Damn it- that's what I was worried about. Well, I guess as least now I know what it is and what condition (scary) it is in.

I'll try not to drive until I get a replacement...

Thanks for the tip/warning!

Worst one I ever saw was in a junkyard. I separated the balljoint from the rod end when I tried to pry the other end away from the axle it was attached to.

Yank on it / hit it as hard as you can and see how much play is in the balljoint itself, if there is any, it's bad. How bad depends on how much.

First the end is a Tie rod end and IS metal to metal wedge fit seal. The rubber part is just a grease seal. So it if was loose and you tightened it it MIGHT be OK. Now that you have torqued it down is there still any movement in the TRE? If yes it bad, if no it might be good.

To add... just remembered this. If you pull it out and the bore in the frame-side mount looks damaged, replace it, it may have wallowed out from being battered repeatedly by the stud and if so the replacement will loosen up as well.

Back