• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro assist on aluminum tie rod

I wouldn't use an aluminum tie rod period. Steel is easy enough to bend on the rocks... using a softer metal makes no sense.

The aluminum tie rods have some give in them and will bounce back from a pretty nasty bend. I have an old toys by troy alumiflex tie rod and its been great. I don't think it would be a problem to put hydro assist on one.

aluminum bounces off rocks and doesnt bend

precipitation hardened aluminum will have a higher elastic limit... it will bend but will rebound more easily than a normalized 4043 aluminum would but they will in fact bend the exact same amount. steel on the other hand has 3x the modulus of elasticity than that of aluminum and in a hardened state and will have a much higher elastic limit. even a material such has a 4130 steel will have better properties in tensile strength and elastic limits(aka bending and bouncing back) than even a 7075-T651.

i'm not saying that the aluminum links do not work in this application, but they do in fact bend.

it takes an extremely hard blow to bend them to the point where they dont come back. i know a few people who run them. only reason i was asking is because i know the aluminum rods flex. with a ram attached i was wondering if the flex would be a problem with that much pressure being behind it

precipitation hardened aluminum will have a higher elastic limit... it will bend but will rebound more easily than a normalized 4043 aluminum would but they will in fact bend the exact same amount. steel on the other hand has 3x the modulus of elasticity than that of aluminum and in a hardened state and will have a much higher elastic limit. even a material such has a 4130 steel will have better properties in tensile strength and elastic limits(aka bending and bouncing back) than even a 7075-T651.

i'm not saying that the aluminum links do not work in this application, but they do in fact bend.

or so I thought. I like my aluminum steering parts, but it appears steel may be a better option, but thats not what the threads about. I don't see a safety issue using aluminum with hydraulic assist.

I just replaced my tierod with a 1.5" solid core 7075 T6 aluminum tierod this replaced a 1.25" .250 wall cromo tierod that I put a nasty bend in.. I run with guys that use the aluminum for lower links and they hold up great in the rocks and I mean big rocks.. I eventually will be putting hydro assist on my junk and don't plan on changing out the tierod just for that...

themud

Lot's of heat treated solid aluminum links being used in rock crawling, if they're strong enough for lower links they should be strong enough for steering. Tera makes some aluminum steering links but those things are basically junk, hollow and not heat treated, and they bend easily.

As far as working well with a hydro assist ram, who knows. Try it and let us know.

Hi Bob,
What are you running for a aluminum tie rod? I have a tie rod made out of 1-1/4" solid round 7075 aluminium alloy, and have hydraulic assist attached to it. Full Circle made it for me. One of the companies makes a bracket that clamps onto the tie rod, that is what my hydraulic assist attaches to. My tie rod has flexed a bit, but has not bent or broken. Been running it that way for 2-3 years now...

A.

I havent picked anything up yet. I was talking to Randy at Adventurous 4x4 about getting something together for me. But before I made any moves I wanted to check to see if anyone had any experience with using a ram on one. When you did you setup did you tap your box yourself or did you have it done?

I have used the 7075 for a tie rod on my D60. It worked great. I made a clamp that wrapped around it from steel. I milled recesses in the side of the tie rod that the clamping bolts went through. It allowed it to clamp around without sliding side to side.

I havent picked anything up yet. I was talking to Randy at Adventurous 4x4 about getting something together for me. But before I made any moves I wanted to check to see if anyone had any experience with using a ram on one. When you did you setup did you tap your box yourself or did you have it done?

I sent a Durango box out to PSC, and they ported it and set it up for hyd. assist. I use heims on mine. I would talk to Full Circle too, he typically keeps stock of 7075 in a few sizes, and can usually make up a tie rod fairly quickly. If you need info on them, let me know.

Back