• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thrust washers 8.25

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
One of my thrust washers was cracked right on that chrysler symbol that's cut out on the washer. Where can I get another thrust washer of the same thickness? The dealer?

Why do they put that chrysler symbol hole in the washer? It creates a weak point.

Thrust washer for side gear - 4883 085 (pack of 2)
Thrust washer for spider gear - 2852 912 (pack of 1)

These are from the 97-99 catalog for the 8.25, but probably go for any 8.25. I have no idea why they're listed as stuff for a KJ on morris 4x4, but the part numbers are right so they should be the right parts.

Thrust washer for side gear - 4883 085 (pack of 2)
Thrust washer for spider gear - 2852 912 (pack of 1)

These are from the 97-99 catalog for the 8.25, but probably go for any 8.25. I have no idea why they're listed as stuff for a KJ on morris 4x4, but the part numbers are right so they should be the right parts.

Thanks.

Those don't look like what I have. Do you think the dealer will sell this part? I'd rather get it at the dealer than wait a week or two cuz I need the jeep for daily commutes. I'm not even sure if those are the right ones. I'd rather it say "chrysler 8.25 cherokee 97-01" or something so I know i'm getting the exact part i need. My jeep is a 2001 with 29 spline 8.25. The second link you listed shows "pinion shaft" but I need the side gear washer. Do the liberties have the same 29 spline 8.25? Also are these washers all the same thickness or do they vary? The ones I had seem to be identical in thickness but I didn't really measure, just eyeballed it.

Last edited:
The shims come in varying thicknesses. The Service pack has 4 sets of shims.Pick the one closest to what you have.
I used part #04883085 That # was good in 2000 when purchased-
The shims are marked--- none(0) .032 thickness
triangle .037
Square .042
Diamond .047
Also listed in the instructions are packages #4131293 and # 4131294
The stamped symbol you saw was the thickness code.

Wayne

The shims come in varying thicknesses. The Service pack has 4 sets of shims.Pick the one closest to what you have.
triangle .037
Square .042
Diamond .047

Wayne

So this chrysler type symbol is actually a diamond symbol? I just went over to the garage and measured and it appeared that it looked like around .027-.030 thickness. I'm gonna have to check again cuz i don't think it was anywhere near .047 thickness, if that symbol is indeed a diamond.

thanks for your info, it's very helpful.

PIC-0212.jpg

PIC-0211.jpg

PIC-0210.jpg

I assume that's a diamond?

triangle .037
Square .042
Diamond .047

Wayne

Wayne, I went to the dealership and they had 4883085. The guy couldn't tell me if it was diamond sized or what and he said he doesn't have the tool to measure the thickness. I guess I'm gonna have to wait till it comes in tomorrow and see what I get. Do you think this part, considering the $33 price tag, comes with a few different sized washers or just one?

That part # (in 2000) had a bag of 4 pairs of thrust washers, just like I listed.Your thrust washer certainly has the pentastar mark.

Wayne

That part # (in 2000) had a bag of 4 pairs of thrust washers, just like I listed.Your thrust washer certainly has the pentastar mark.

Wayne

Alright I hope I get the package of washers. I'm just worried cuz I did a search on the part number and this is what shows up on every website:

http://www.cyberjeep.com/prodinfo.asp?number=4883085&

It's two washers and side gears. I'm just hopin I don't get that.

Wayne,

I picked up the part today and it's still the same as back when you got it. There are many pairs of different sized washers, including the one I need. This is perfect.

Thanks for your help!

Now it's back to installing the aussie.....

Good to know - guess the first one I listed (same number, just comes up wonky as the KJ parts) is the right one. The funny thing is that those don't even look like side gears in the picture... they look like fairly large crown/castle nuts.

Back