• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 stalls when put into reverse

skyaugen

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 4.0l auto started up fine, idled normal and drove about a mile to the gas station.At the station I had to put it into reverse to get to the pump and it stalled. When I started it back up and got stuck in high idle around 2500
rpm and wouldn't go down.This happen before a week ago also, it that time I
torque the intake and exhaust bolts and adjusted the TPS and it ran fine, but
now it's back to high idling again when I started it up.

Check to see if the throttle plate is hanging up and remaining open.

I would suspect you have a substantial intake leak somewhere--intake gasket, vacuum lines, brake booster line. Start plugging things off until you get a change in idle.

Engine off, unplug the IAC and start it up.

A stall in reverse is commonly associated with a CPS cable that has gotten next to the exhaust manifold and melted through. The other symptoms don't really track.

Double check your ground from the engine to the firewall.

anyway it could be NSS related?

I don't think its the NSS, that has multiple functions--engine will only crank in PARK and NEUTRAL, it also provides a mechanical input to the TCU of which gear is physically selected--but it can't kill the engine or effect idle speed.

Finally got around to checking for leaks and couldn't find any and still had a high idle.
So I thought it I might check the IAC even though I put a new one in two years ago.
I kept the old one just to have as a spare and sure enough it started up fine and went to a normal idle when I put the original one in.
Anybody know were I can get a new IAC that will last longer than 2 years, not like the
one I got from napa.

I would hit the salvage yards and pick up two or three--cheap, and odds are most of them will be good.

it may also be that the napa one isn't bad, just that it was stuck in some nasty carbon. I have the occasional high idel on both the 87's, taking out the IAC and cleaning it's bore always fixes them. I have yet to replace one of the 20 year old IACs, just clean them.

Back