• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

700R4 behind a 4.0

ALL PLAY

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching for any info. on this matter. I like the idea of the lower 1st gear and still having overdrive.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Here's a little about the jeep.
92 XJ
44/9 combo with 4.56's
About 7"s of lift and 35's

just get a 4wd aw4 from another xj with shifter and computer

Agreed, and some lower gears. 4:56's aren't enough gear to keep a 4.0 in it's power range with 35's, even with a 5-speed manual. Having done a tranny swap in an XJ (manual to auto) I would much rather regear.....and the lower first gear with a 700r4 will be neglegible.

I have been searching for any info. on this matter. I like the idea of the lower 1st gear and still having overdrive.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Here's a little about the jeep.
92 XJ
44/9 combo with 4.56's
About 7"s of lift and 35's

The AW4 will be easier to find in "ready to bolt up" condition - the THM700R4/4L60 will require an adapter plate (since it will have either the GM Metric bellhousing pattern, or GM V8 pattern.)

If you are going to go through with the THM700R4/4L60 swap, source one from 1988 or later. Through 1987, they had a "fatal flaw" in the valve body, and the usual "fix" for this flaw is scrapping and replacing outright.

Also, if you get the 4WD version of the THM700R4, it will usually have the NP231C transfer case behind it - which is an upgrade to the NP231J (wider chain, therefore somewhat stronger.)

Check with Novak or Advance Adapters for an adapter plate - I'm sure one or the other of those outfits will make one. The torque converter/flexplate may be a bit more difficult, tho (ideally, you'd have a flexplate adapted, and use the THM700R4 torque converter. It's the easier way to go.)

Isn't the pre-93 700r4 all mechanical vs electrical?

The THM700R4 became the 4L60. The 4L60 became the 4L60E (electronically controlled) sometime around 1993/1994, IIRC. So yeah, you're right!

However, being a GM part, it should be fairly easy to make up a standalone controller, or reprogramme the extant controller to handle transmission duties in another engine (this is what makes GM stuff so popular for swaps.)

I would agree with Rob.

May be more of a pain in the ass to swap a transmission but they are cheap as chips (as the brits would say), I know of at least two that aren't selling on the NAC classifieds in the $75 range in perfectly good shape and a friend of mine picked up two for $20 a while ago.

Back